lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-13-2015, 06:29 PM   #11
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 89 EZGO Textron Gas 2cycle Project

That makes it a 2 pg with spark plug on the side.
cart around is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-13-2015, 06:34 PM   #12
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

This is a better manual for you. You have a bigger carb, and different muffler.

EDIT:
I had a chatterbox on the phone while trying to type. The 2 pg motors have a bv-18 carburetor. Your 88 2pg has a bv-24 carburetor, and a high performance exhaust to make 2 more horse power. You should have a stand up muffler with the exhaust entering the top. You have the more desirable year.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 85-EZGO(2) (1).pdf (6.71 MB, 0 views)
cart around is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 07:22 PM   #13
MarineGrunt
Getting Wild

Be sure to check the cylinder walls too. Many times they get scored up and just installing new rings won't take care of it. Run your fingernail over any score marks and see if it catches. If it does you'll probably have to go .50 over. I'd also get a caliper and measure the bore diameter and check the specs in the manual. If all is good I'd get a ball hone and cross hatch the walls, toss on some new rings, and give it a go. But, while you have it apart, you could go ahead and go .50 over just so you know it's basically new. again.

I once had a jet ski with low compression. New rings didn't take care of it so had to end up getting oversized piston and rings and having it bored. I recently had a head for an old Honda 3 wheeler at the machine shop to go .50mm over due to scoring. It cost me like $35-$40 to have it machined. You're probably looking at about $80-$100 per cylinder total and that's with the new rings and pistons. If you just go with new rings it's always possible you'll have to tear it back down and end up getting it bored. As long as it's not scored up, and it's within specs, you should be good to go though.

Here's a link to piston and rings if you plan to go ahead and bore it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/E-z-Go-Golf-...f84974&vxp=mtr
MarineGrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 02:31 PM   #14
projectstella
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the help guys. When I checked the serial number it showed 88, but I swear that when I had the cylinder head off it said 3pg under it. If it's not raining when I get home and I have time I'll try to snap some pictures. It does have the spark plug on the top-right side of the cylinder, but the exhausts that I've seen for 88 don't have the same orientation as what is in there. I'm wondering if this thing has been rebuilt and frankensteined together over time.
projectstella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 02:36 PM   #15
TheGDFP
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Does the belt run parallel or perpendicular to the axle?

3pg engine sets up like this, has carb attached to cylinder:
TheGDFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:41 PM   #16
projectstella
Not Yet Wild

The belts run perpendicular. I'll get some pictures once it stops pouring here. It's been non-stop rain out here in St. Louis.
projectstella is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2 cycle, ezgo, gas, project, repair
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO