lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-08-2019, 11:25 PM   #271
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: OBC Bypassing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenona16 View Post
Thank you. Will do.

Being a newbie, can you give me insight to "sticky" versus thread?
Just go to: "Home" then "Electric Club Car" then " New Thread."

Post your question with as much detail as you can and someone will help you.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-09-2019, 06:37 AM   #272
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Your powerdrive would not have turned off with the relay in the charger bypassed. It needs the signal to the "Open" from the OBC, via the sense wire.

If your resistor is getting as hot as you describe, there is "draw" being pulled from somewhere and most likely is at the controller or motor. You are seeing voltage on both sides of the solenoid because the resistor allows a small amount of energy to flow through it to keep the capacitors in the controller charged and avoid a dead hit when you depress the pedal. Since yours is hot, you have higher than designed current flow being pulled through the resistor instead of the solenoid.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:32 AM   #273
Wenona16
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thank you so much. I will be starting a new thread as recommended after I research a little more. I did bypass the charger relay but was monitoring the voltage signal coming back from the OBC to determine when the OBC determined it needed to "open" the relay. At 61.8 volts output and a continuous amp draw for 1.5 hour it was still charging. I am new to this but it seemed to me that the batteries were fully charged and were being overcharged.

And thank you for the insight as to the resistor. Once removed it reads 0.207 ohms. Unsure what it is supposed to read but undoubtedly more than that. :) I will look at the sponsors and order one up. And there is not voltage at both sides of the solenoid now. Goes to reason.

I did notice the capacitor discharge effect as voltage remains at the motor windings as it dwindles after releasing throttle.

Maybe I had the key on when charging? Or one of my limits is stuck?

All good info. Will look at all the posts in the diode/resistor section and get more educated, then start a new thread. Thanks so much.
Wenona16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 09:24 PM   #274
DOUGHBOYSFAST
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Ok so I'm about to attempt to do the OBC bypass on my 2000 regen 2 - 48 volt cart... before I go cutting any wires I want to confirm what I need to do and that I'm doing it correctly..

From what I read through out this thread is I'm going to connect the 10 gauge black wire from the back of the charge receptacle directly to the negative pack.

Then I will remove the yellow cable that runs from the positive of the controller to the passenger side solenoid and connect it directly to the negative side of the controller.

Finally I will snip the white and blue wire coming off the obc and connect them together using a small automotive style fuse..

I added a picture that I drew up on the wiring diagram just so it's clear what I am talking about..

Can someone please confirm if I am correct or if I missed any steps. Also please correct anything I have wrong.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200104-211711_Gallery.jpg (75.1 KB, 0 views)
DOUGHBOYSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:13 AM   #275
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Oh LORD no! You are confusing the Negative Activation Circuit with the Yellow Controller Power cable....

I thought I already explained this in your thread, but to "permanently" bypass the OBC for a Regen 2 is similar to an IQ. If you are going with a new smart charger then just cut the two (2) Black 10g wires at the OBC and butt connect them together. Cut and butt connect the Blue and White wires on the carts Harness side connector. The Red wire on the charge receptacle remains where it is now and the small gray wire can be rolled up as it is no longer used.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 04:09 PM   #276
DOUGHBOYSFAST
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
Oh LORD no! You are confusing the Negative Activation Circuit with the Yellow Controller Power cable....

I thought I already explained this in your thread, but to "permanently" bypass the OBC for a Regen 2 is similar to an IQ. If you are going with a new smart charger then just cut the two (2) Black 10g wires at the OBC and butt connect them together. Cut and butt connect the Blue and White wires on the carts Harness side connector. The Red wire on the charge receptacle remains where it is now and the small gray wire can be rolled up as it is no longer used.
Thank you for the response, I believe I did everything correct. I attached a couple pictures.. I'm glad I decided to do the bypass, it appears someone else tried to do some sort of bypass already which is probably why my factory charger wasn't acting correctly..

As far as the grey wire off of the charge receptacle it had an inline fuse right off the receptacle so I just left it in place and removed the fuse

Thank you again greatly. I have my new max modz charger hooked up now and giving the cart a proper charge..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200106_152445.jpg (127.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200106_152457.jpg (108.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-06-2020, 04:22 PM   #277
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

It looks like the OBC 6-pin connector is still connected, You can disconnect that so the OBC does not use any power and remove it from the cart entirely when you upgrade your power cable from pack negative to Controller B- (the one that currently goes through the OBC opening).
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 04:48 PM   #278
DOUGHBOYSFAST
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
It looks like the OBC 6-pin connector is still connected, You can disconnect that so the OBC does not use any power and remove it from the cart entirely when you upgrade your power cable from pack negative to Controller B- (the one that currently goes through the OBC opening).
Yes sir I did plug the 6 pin back in because I wasn't 100% sure , I will disconnect it..

Thank so much again to all of you for the help
Old 02-07-2020, 10:37 AM   #279
tigers1988
Not Yet Wild

Hello everyone.

I have a 2014 club car precedent 48 volt with new batteries. I bought a schauer jac1548h charger to "float" while the cart sits up for weeks at a time.

I have read all 28 pages of this thread trying to figure out exactly what I need to do to bypass obc. I read a couple of replies and feel like I know then I come across another reply and it completely throws me off.

From what I gathered this is what I need to do in order to bypass obc and have my schauer charger work:

1-CUT black wire that goes from charging receptacle to obc.
2-Place a ring terminal on this black wire and connect it to the main pack negative (battery 6), so it runs from charging receptacle to main pack.
3-Tape other cut end of this black wire that runs to obc
4- ready to charge?

TIA. I'm very new to this golf cart business
tigers1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 11:21 AM   #280
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

To start with your cart year model may or may not have an OBC. If this float charger is just for float charging it may not be enough to charge cart after normal use in which case you would need to connect the cart charger. Then the OBC would need to be put back online.

I know the experts say to cut the black wire from the charge port to the OBC.
What I did was make a new 10 ga black wire to run from charge port to pack negative. I now have both hooked up. If I want to use my power drive charger ever again I'll unhook the new black wire from pack negative roll it up tape the end and zip tie it out of the way.

As for the blue wire and the white wire at the OBC I just made a short jumper to connect them and put the plug connector back on place. It will not plug in but I zip tied it in place to keep things neat.

My cart is a 2003 DS IQ.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car