lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-03-2016, 09:46 AM   #1
Kenwhitehead57@att.net
Not Yet Wild

Default Short in frame of cart

I have a 1994 txt 36v ezego series motor. I have a dead short in frame of cart everywhere I put postive probe of meter with neg probe on neg battery pk showing 37.5v a lot of places and lower volts in different areas . I have traced all wires and cables and no wires or cables have any break or skint places on them that may be shorting it out. Solenoid clicks when push pedal does not go in f or rev. What I'm asking is can I ground frame to neg battery pack with out messing anything up. Motor does turn very good when I did test with 12 v batteries charger. I am at a loss. Sorry for long question I'm new at this. Thanks for any help from anyone out there. Thanks a lot
Ken
Kenwhitehead57@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-03-2016, 09:54 AM   #2
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Short in frame of cart

Do not ground to the frame.... Period !!!

It is not uncommon to find stray voltage reading in the frame; hell not long ago a member posted finding stray voltage in the tire of all places. Use a test lamp and see how brightly it glows and or an actual 12 volt light bulb and see what if anything it does. Stray or ghost voltage does not have the potential to burn a bulb...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:15 AM   #3
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

You are probably getting leakage to the frame from dirty batteries. You should try to clean this up and see if it fixes your problem. You do NOT want to ground the system to the frame for any reason!
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:45 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Also could be from carbon dust buildup inside motor, not generally a really big deal. Unless you are trying to use the frame for grounding stuff, which is a big No-No.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:23 PM   #5
rib33024

Check you battery cables where they come off the controller, and they go around the battery box and run back to the motor. Check for bare cables on the frame. Behind the rear battery on the passenger side
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO