lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-02-2016, 01:15 PM   #1
skipsmith521
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Water levels

I have seen the graphic posted showing how the water levels in the batteries should be right above the plates.

To be honest... I can look into the battery and see the water levels are right above the plates, but by how much is just a guess.

Batteries are new as of Jan 2016 and I have not added any water so far.

I would think you don't want to wait until the plates are exposed to add some water...so at what point should you add some water.

Thx

Skip

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
skipsmith521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-02-2016, 01:29 PM   #2
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Water levels

you might want to use a bamboo chop stick-or something like that to check the level... a rod of steel might better....creating a dipstick is the idea....
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:43 AM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

the water level should be at least 1/4" above the plates
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:40 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Technically 1/4 is correct and a dipstick is good idea but, I figure if I can see plates the water is probably low.
Typically here is about 1 inch from the plates to the top in most batteries. You can verify this with your dipstick.
Then you will know if there is 3/4 to 1/2 space there is 1/4 to 1/2 inch of water above the plates.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:30 AM   #5
Helirich
Gone Wild

A good easy way to do it is to fill it till it just touches the plastic lip at the bottom of the vent socket. There are slits in the sides of the socket that must be open so gas can get to the vent. So don't go above the lip. If you do, it can blow some water/acid out the vent. That's not really bad for the battery, but it is for the cart. The main thing is, you are correct, don't expose the plates.
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:41 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutant View Post
you might want to use a bamboo chop stick-or something like that to check the level... a rod of steel might better....creating a dipstick is the idea....
A steel rod is not a good idea.

In addition to being conductive and creating an electrical shock hazard, the sulfuric acid in the electrolyte will dissolve some of the iron out of the steel rod and the max allowable for that impurity is only 3PPM.

Use something non-conductive and not containing any of the materials on the impurity attached no-no list.

FWIW: I used bamboo shish kabob skewers as dipsticks before I learned how to use my Plews battery watering jug properly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Max impurities in water for batteries.JPG (82.2 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:44 AM   #7
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

that is right johnnie-wrong suggestion on my part-i didnt think about it dissolving some of the steel...
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:05 AM   #8
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Fill to just below the fill ring and only after charging and you won't be overfilling. You never want to expose the plates. My experience is that as batteries age, they start consuming much more water. When my cart was new, I checked the water frequently but did not have to add much. At end of life, I had to add water at least once a week.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:09 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I replace them when they start using that much water. Heavy water usage means there has been heavy charging. If the batteries require more and more heavy charging and are probably needing it more often, this indicates significant loss of function.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:24 PM   #10
skipsmith521
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well I ordered a Plews water filler today. Should be here on Friday.

Going to give that a try...hope it was not a waste of money.

Skip

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
skipsmith521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO