lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-02-2016, 04:14 PM   #1
dyeager535
Not Yet Wild

Default 1988 EZGo golf cart solenoid replacement part number? (resistor speed control)

Hello!

I've had this '88 cart for a few months, and have been driving it around without incident until yesterday. The cart started to move forward/reverse at low speed without the pedal being depressed, even with key in the off position. Checked, and the solenoid has failed.

In searching a replacement, I pulled 71-120224-5 off the solenoid in the cart. I checked with White-Rodgers, they told me the part number is obsolete, and they do not sell a replacement. 70-120224 can be easily found, but it is rated for 1/4 of the inrush load as the 71-120224-5 (50A vs. 200A, respectively).

Is there another part number folks are using to replace the 71-120224, that has the right load capacity?

Thanks!
dyeager535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-02-2016, 08:36 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1988 EZGo solenoid replacement part number? (resistor speed control, not solid st

Any 200a constant duty GC solenoid will work. There is a wide range of quality out there from junk to overkill. But you will be better served by overkill. WR is a good brand and so is Albright.

Also FYI more than just a welded solenoid has to go bad for the cart to creep while off. The throttle sweep has to not go to zero position..... still asking for impulsion. That is the second half of the problem here. I hope this helps

PS let us know if you are fed-up with resistor coil drive. There are still a few kits left
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:47 PM   #3
dyeager535
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1988 EZGo solenoid replacement part number? (resistor speed control, not solid st

I wish I had the service/wiring manual for this thing, but I had no luck tracking one down. Every year but it seems. :)

I initially thought the rod from the pedal to the wiper assembly was out of adjustment, but from what I could see after disconnecting the rod at the pedal, there is not enough movement in the wiper for it to completely break contact at rest. I then noticed there is a switch at the top of the wiper assembly that is actuated when the throttle starts to move, which I assumed de-energized the solenoid when the pedal was "at rest". Is there some other mechanism that breaks contact at the wiper assembly with the key on/throttle off? Everything is as tight as it appears it should be, clearances don't seem excessive anywhere, just looked like the wiper was designed to always make contact at the lowest throttle position.

Amazingly(?) the cart hasn't given me any problems up to this point, but initially I was not interested in this old of a cart precisely due to the resistor setup. For what I paid though, I've been able to use it for a year, pretty hard to beat that it seems.

I appreciate the advice on the solenoid. Is one such as the WR 586-117111 a fairly straight forward replacement? I noticed on the 71 series some of the part numbers end in a "5" like mine, and some end in "2". Since WR disco'd these parts, I can't find a reliable cross reference to make sure it doesn't denote a difference I should be cognizant of if looking to replace with a different design.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:02 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

For a few dollars less get a SW182 with magnetic brakeouts here > http://www.cartsunlimited.net/solenoids.html It is the ultimate replacement and will last years to come.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:46 AM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Looks like a bad solenoid, or that microswitch is shot (one of these is surely your problem on this simple system). check for voltage on the solenoids small terminals when the pedal is at rest with key on, i bet its the microswitch if the cart isnt trying to go when the key is off. yes, the "moving contact" does rest on a "stationary contact" when the pedal is "at rest", or else there would be a "hill" for the moving contact to jump onto when moving from the at rest position to the first "go" step. unless "i like to fight with this 90 year old method" is your idea of a good time, look into a solid-state conversion. you can fix its current system, but why? The contacts on a "resistor coil" setup are consumable items, meaning they are slowly eaten every time its used.

Simple Version-
if it goes, or electrical stuff gets hot even with key off = welded solenoid.
if it wants to go only when key is on, pedal not pressed = bad microswitch on the board.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 02:21 AM   #6
dyeager535
Not Yet Wild

Dad smacked the solenoid with a hammer, voila, cart works again as it should. Not a solution, but proof that the solenoid is the problem.

For $300, and running a year with no issues, I think I did ok with this cart. Upgrading or replacing with newer when the time comes is certainly in the cards.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO