lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-03-2016, 09:14 PM   #1
Oak Grove Panther
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 86 EZGO No Bueno

Hello all! I have an 86 EZGO with a 244cc 2 stroke Robin Engine in it. Here is the skinny. I have a friend that brought this to me and it has sentimental value to him as it was his fathers. It has been sitting for a few years in storage but it ran when parked. I removed the tank and cleaned the old fuel out of it. I changed the plug, Fuel lines, Filter, fuel pump, fuel pump isolator, and removed the carb and cleaned it out. I fired it up and it ran like a top. I drove it around my land for about two hours and claimed it done. Went to go put it on the trailer and it wouldn't run without the choke on. The fuel was low so I thought possibly it was sucking air. So I mixed up some fuel 40:1 and still won't run without choke. I found the float sticking so I polished up the bowl and got that taken care of. Here is the part I cannot get my head around.While cranking the engine if I loosen the nut on the bottom of the bowl and drop it a little to were full is dumping out, it starts to run, when I push the bowl up it dies. When I had the fuel pump off, I cranked the engine and was getting good pressure out of the hole for the fuel pump. I cannot figure this dude out, the darn thing was running so good then nadda. I have not taken a compression test, but didn't think I was hurting on compression due to the fact it ran so well the week before...Any ideas?
Oak Grove Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-03-2016, 09:29 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 86 EZGO No Bueno

Sounds like the cross drilled bolt that holds the bowl on is getting blocked. maybe by the gasket, or the edge of the bowl where it passes through. It could even be a piece of crap that broke loose. Unscrew all 3 brass orifices in the carb, and clean them again.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:39 PM   #3
Oak Grove Panther
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks cart around, I will pull that booger off again and give it a good cleaning. Heck Im an old shoe at pulling this carb apart! I have only had it off 100 times!
Old 08-03-2016, 10:07 PM   #4
rib33024

So if your mixing the gas in the tank 40.1. Did you remove the oil injection? and now mixing the gas?. Is it running on the oil injection and the 40.1 mix in the tank?. And the gas oil mix is 128:1 or 1oz to 1 gallon

Also - it may sound silly, but you should never mix the gas and oil by dumping the oil into the tank - make sure to premix it thoroughly in a can prior to dumping it in the cart!

Here is some more info

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...s-mixture.html
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:08 AM   #5
Oak Grove Panther
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hey Rib,
I almost passed out when you gave me the correct ratio, I guess I read the break in ratio.LOL....I have never mixed oil/gas so lean.... Do you think I should drain the gas and put the correct ratio in it or run it out? Thanks for the advice, i do mix the fuel before I put it in.
The oil injection was removed before I was asked to work on it.
Just to clarify your post there Rib, is the 88 the same as the 86 engine wise? The post you linked to me was for an 88.
Thanks again.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:28 PM   #6
Oak Grove Panther
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Update on what I did to clear it up (so far) I pulled the carb back off, tore it down and let it soak in pinesol in a small tub and put a fan on the table to shake the tub a little. Removed the fuel pump and made a wider isolator so I was confident that the ring sealed all the way around. Replaced the fuel filter again. Reinstalled pump and cleaned out carb. I found a piece of crud in the overflow vent while cleaning. Adjusted the idle air screw, and leaned out the fuel a little. Fired right up and runs good. Fuel filter is staying full. The cart is smoking a bit, but I am sure I have raw fuel and oil in the exhaust and a still rich mixture. I have one of my boys out driving it now to run the fuel lower. I will set the fuel at 1 1/2 oz of oil to 1 gallon of gas when I get it lower and change the spark plug which will probably be fouled by the time 40:1 gas mix is ran through it. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:59 PM   #7
rib33024

Yes all 2 strokes are mixed the same 128:1
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 08:45 PM   #8
Oak Grove Panther
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

update on my 86 EZGO project. I removed the rich fuel and filled it with 1oz oil to 1 gallon gas.I ran the cart on the old plug for quite some time and then changed the plug out. The cart ran great for about an hour and we parked it. When I went back out to give her another test, it wouldn't start up.I pulled a slight vacuum on the vent tube and seemed to unclog something. It came to life and ran for another hour with no troubles. We parked it and the same thing happened when we went to restart it a couple hours later. I pulled a slight vacuum on the vent tube and again seemed to unclog it. It has been running for about two hours now with no problems. I think I am going to replace the tube on the carb in the morning to see if that keeps me form having to use the lips God gave me to get it going. I sure as heck don't want to tell the football coach for our high school that he has to suck on a tube to get it going every day.
Old 08-05-2016, 11:06 PM   #9
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

I suspect that the black rubber fuel line between the pump, and carburetor is breaking down on the inside. Small pieces of rubber are clogging the vent line.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO