lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-12-2017, 07:18 AM   #1
Cadmasterflash
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default ds will not drive at times,alltrax 4865

I have a friends cart that I built several years ago, it has AA in the serial. problem is that it only drives when it wants to. I checked all the wires and couldn't fine any broke or burnt off. when the throttle is pressed the solenoid works but no drive, then sometimes if I turn on the key and hit the throttle it works and seems to work fine, drives nice and smooth or if I want it will pull the front tires off the ground. I have a alltrax 4865 controller and a motor to match. have done a lot of checks but the only problem is I cant unhook a lot because I never know when its actually working. the only thing that I did find is when it works the led on the controller flashes green 7 times and at full throttle it turns a slightly orange color. when it doesn't work it does the same accept it stays green. I unplugged the yellow off the controller and checked continuity between that wire and the ground and as the throttle is depressed my value is all over the place, could the problem be the potentiometer or the way that im checking it?
Cadmasterflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-12-2017, 08:07 AM   #2
handtools
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: ds will not drive at times,alltrax 4865

I had an AXE 4865 in my cart and last summer it started doing the same thing, very hard to diagnose because when it ran everything checked out perfectly and when it didn't run everything pointed to a bad controller. Eventually it was a bad controller, replaced it with a SR48500. Good luck!
handtools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:48 AM   #3
Cadmasterflash
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

thanks for the info handtools, did you send your controller out for evaluation or just change it as a last resort?
Old 10-12-2017, 09:00 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The controller is indicating the throttle input, or rather a lack of throttle input is the problem.
As with any intermittent problem, you can only trouble shoot the problem when the cart is failing to go.
Test the throttle signal when the cart is working so you know how to test and what the result should be. Then carry your meter with you when you drive and be ready to test the throttle when the cart fails to go.
GL
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:05 AM   #5
Cadmasterflash
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

actually the cart is in the shop on jack stands and every time I walk past it I turn on the key and see if it works so that shouldn't be to hard thanks.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:08 AM   #6
handtools
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadmasterflash View Post
thanks for the info handtools, did you send your controller out for evaluation or just change it as a last resort?
I finally got enough information to determine that everything was working normally when not running except the controller output. Also I had my stock controller that I swapped back in (but had to go back to 36v ) and the cart ran flawlessly for close to a year until I took advantage of the awesome Labor Day sale at Cart's Unlimited!
handtools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 02:38 PM   #7
Cadmasterflash
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I finally got the cart to quit working long enough to get a few voltages. the yellow wire on #3 has 1 volt and goes to 8 volts at full throttle, the green wire on #2 has 8 volts and the red wire on #1 has 48 volts after the solenoid closes. that I think is ok but when the cart is not working I have 48 volts on M- and it does not change with the throttle and as far as I know that is not good. im guessing that will be my controller and im just looking for some confirmation or anything else that could cause the problem before I drop the hammer on a new one.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:56 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

When the cart is running get the normal readings for your throttle wires. Then when it is not running you will have a reference for your tests.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:06 PM   #9
Cadmasterflash
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

everything seems to be the same accept the blue wire voltage on m-, when it was running I had 48 volts with no throttle and went down to almost nothing at full throttle. seems to be the only difference I can find.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:09 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadmasterflash View Post
everything seems to be the same accept the blue wire voltage on m-, when it was running I had 48 volts with no throttle and went down to almost nothing at full throttle. seems to be the only difference I can find.
I'm a little lost - can you identify this blue wire - size & destination?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car