lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-31-2018, 07:07 PM   #11
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: How do i get brake lights out of a RXV ?

The brake light circuit on an RXV is switched on and off by a relay that the controller operates. You'll have to add the relay if there is not already one installed. As for the brake lights themselves, it depends upon if your RXV has the factory lights or an aftermarket light kit. The factory lights have a plug/socket in the Accessory Wiring Harness, with a jumper to convert from just basic headlights/tail lights to a full light setup with turn signals and brake lights. Aftermarket light kits can have a number of options depending upon which light kit is installed. Regardless, you can rig up your own wiring to the brake light halves of the LED tail lights and run that to the brake light relay to control the 12V feeding that brake light wiring. Typically they bond the brake light half to the tail light half when the light kit is not wired for brake lights.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-31-2018, 08:29 PM   #12
SBIRD!
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

[QUOTE=Tom Cocke;1488510]First thank you very much for the HELPFUL response. Yes motor brake. Brake pedal is there but unnecessary. It stops when you take your foot off the brake. Brake pedal is mechanical and for emergency stops only. Need to use LED tail lights that it has for brake lights to make it legal. Any HELP is appreciated.

I'm no expert but it's my understanding that the RXV brake can be used for light braking with no ill affects. But it's only good for a few emergency stops before it's wore out. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Have you considered buying a street legal kit? That would give you turn signals as well.

Last edited by SBIRD!; 03-31-2018 at 08:31 PM.. Reason: clarity
SBIRD! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 12:05 AM   #13
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

This is how I understand the RXV braking system:

There are no wheel brakes. All normal braking is done by the motor using regen braking. Regen braking occurs whenever the gas pedal is up. The service brake pedal is present and when pressed, the controller increases regen braking to slow the cart faster. There is no mechanical linkage from the brake pedal to anything. It speaks to the controller electrically. The motor is capable of regen braking all the way to 0 rpm and can and does hold the cart stopped under any conditions (IE. on a hill) until parking brake engagement.

The parking brake, also referred to as the hill brake sometimes, is an electrically operated mechanical brake attached to the end of the motor. It’s operation is automatic requiring no input by the driver. It is fail safe to the engaged position and requires electrical signal to release it. When operating normally is is either all(100%) on or off. It is controlled by the controller as is everything else on an RXV.

The cart drives like an EV and is noticeably different than a standard DC motored golf cart. After some practice you can do a lot of single pedal driving. The service brake pedal feels like power brakes on an automobile to me and is very effective at slowing the cart beyond normal regen. Usually I just have to tap it a time or two. If you have a digital meter on the cart you can see the voltage of the battery pack increase during pedal up “coasting” and a dramatic and rapid increase if the service brake is pressed. I have seen over 60v momentarily when using the brake. When bringing the cart to a stop, the motor holds the cart for a second or two and then the parking brake engages. You can hear it. There are NO detrimental effects to using the SERVICE brake under normal conditions.

Exception: The parking brake will engage while the cart is moving if you mash the service brake far enough, like in a panic/emergency stop. I think Bob Boyce has posted that this is about 60% of brake pedal travel. In my experience you won’t do this accidentally under normal operation. I have had to do this twice in 2 years (panic stop). The rear wheels (both) lock immediately. It was not a violent experience and I was at speed. I don’t know how many times you can do this before damage to the brake occurs but it is not designed to do this a lot.

To the OP (Tom Cocke). It occurs to me you may be looking for a way to have brake light activation when only gas pedal up occurs and not by brake pedal due to the nature of the RXV. It is interesting and I don’t recall anyone ever asking about this. I think Bob Boyce or cgtech could possibly address this.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 07:16 AM   #14
Tom Cocke
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

You guys are great ! Thanks a ton !
Now let me go take this excellent info and see what i can do! Thanks !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tom Cocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 08:11 AM   #15
rib33024

This might help

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ghts-work.html
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 05:39 PM   #16
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Cocke View Post
You guys are great ! Thanks a ton !
Now let me go take this excellent info and see what i can do! Thanks !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It would be nice if you posted that here > http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...140359-no.html
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:45 PM   #17
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

If I understand correctly, you already have lights and want to add brake lights?

If you have an upgradable harness, you only need to buy the upgrade kit. Otherwise, just but a deluxe light kit and it will have all the components. I can help you with WHAT to buy, but check with site sponsors regarding WHERE to buy.

They do make a sensor that connects to the pedal especially for the RXV
rockfordpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:39 AM   #18
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Kernal---

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT description of brake operation...

I am unsure of % brake pedal travel to activate emergency brake.

***You can check this by putting cart in tow and depressing brake until you hear the click
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:09 PM   #19
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTechRedNeck View Post
Kernal---

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT description of brake operation...

I am unsure of % brake pedal travel to activate emergency brake.

***You can check this by putting cart in tow and depressing brake until you hear the click
Thank you!

To the OP (Tom Cocke),
LiTESeasy by Tecscan may be a solution for you. Self contained lighting system requiring only 12v from the cart. Much simpler installation than standard light kits.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:18 PM   #20
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
Thank you!

To the OP (Tom Cocke),
LiTESeasy by Tecscan may be a solution for you. Self contained lighting system requiring only 12v from the cart. Much simpler installation than standard light kits.
Yes this is the easy way
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake lights, rxv
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO