lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-19-2018, 02:51 PM   #1
carboncow
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 91 Marathon: Replaced pot and now no F/R

OK, so I spotted a dead spot on the POT and ordered a new pot online. It's tased as EZGO 36V Curtis Style Pot Box Switch PB-6

First things first...

The new unit only had one lead coming out of the bottom while my old one had two separate wire bundles. The one set of course goes to the controller for variable resistance for speed. The 2n set of wires goes to a microswitch on the F/R switch that is in the reverse position like the backup buzzer. I'm scratching my head on this as I don't see it mentioned in wiring diagrams nor the new switch having the setup of wires. It appears to be open in forward and closed in reverse and if you look at my photo you'll see it runs into the pot and runs off of two legs of the switch.

So I've triple checked my work and for the wires coming off the top of the microswitch I have the hot switched from ignition and supplies power to the solenoid and the blue wire going to the controller.

When I engage the pot you hear the solenoid click in both the forward and reverse switch...but no motion with the rear wheels up on jacks.

I'm really scratching my head. I'm not great at reading wiring charts but **** this one is easy. (see attached reference) as well as the photos I have showing the old and new pot boxes.

What am I missing here?

EDIT: I've included an image of the wiring for the F/R switch that does show a switch which I believe is the one with wires that may or may not go to the pot box too. It's labeled MS4 but it's not wired to the other switches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2a8334daa340264b336eac003c15fb6c.jpg (27.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg d4c30f0468db4e03b98d7de307a8f4bc.jpg (77.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0437.jpg (190.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0438.jpg (189.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0440.jpg (191.1 KB, 0 views)
carboncow is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-19-2018, 02:52 PM   #2
carboncow
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 91 Marathon: Replaced pot and now no F/R

One more image...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0440.jpg (191.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0439.jpg (194.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-19-2018, 03:36 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The two wire cable that went to a microswitch the F/R assembly placed the fixed resistor in the old pot-box in parallel with the pot when in reverse, giving you a half-speed reverse.

The older F/R assemblies had a double (stacked) MS-4, one of the did the half-speed reverse, the other did the reverse beeper. If MS-4 on your F/R, you can only do one of the two.

The blue wire on the pedal switch (switch on the pot box) turns the controller on while the orange wire energizes the solenoid and they both have to be connected to the red wire via the switch contacts at the same time for cart to run. Looks like the controller is turned on with the pedal up and off when the pedal is down. In other words the both the blue and orange wires ought top be connected to the Normally Closed contacts with the red wire on the Common contacts.

Here is a schematic diagram showing how it ought to be wired.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pot Box cart schematic.jpg (110.7 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 05:52 PM   #4
carboncow
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks...that did it!

1. I figured that was a 1/2 speed resister...although it seat of the butt never made if feel that way. I'll leave it off...no biggie.

2. You are right as the ms on top of the pot is different then the old which was a single throw where one post shared the two wires...I made the assumption (after half *** testing) that when the switch was "on" they both were engaged...it's a double throw so it was switching (separating) them.

All squared aways and moving now!
Old 05-19-2018, 06:10 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the feedback
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:37 PM   #6
carboncow
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post

Thanks for the feedback
I should add after re-reading your help. There are in fact two (2) twice on there reverse side...side by side. Mine did in fact have the reverse resister for 1/2 power as well as the reverse beep switch too!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO