lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-06-2018, 03:44 PM   #1
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

Default 95 Medalist shock?

Since my shocks are 23 years old, I'm looking into changing them. I went through some old posts and have seen a lot of recommendations for the KYB 343137 shock. I looked it up and got the dimensions for the shock. It has the right mounting studs for the top and bottom, but the extended height is only 14.25". My stock shock ride height right now is 13.50", so that will only give me 3/4" extension, which is obviously not going to work for my hunting cart application. It will have plenty of down stroke at 8.74" compressed height, that will give me about 4 3/4". I looked at the KYB KG5517. It has 17.87" at full extension and 10.91 at full compression. That gives me a little over 4.25" extension, but limits me to just over 2.50" of compression. Anyone have any other suggestions for a new shock that won't break the bank and isn't going to rattle my brain as I drive over bumps. Thanks.
70oldsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-06-2018, 04:10 PM   #2
bobbycason
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 95 Medalist shock?

I know they say that automotive shocks will give a rougher ride but I used these and don't have a problem with the ride. (Tipping the scales at 400# might help with that. ) They appear to be close to the dimensions you have with the KYB KG5517 so I'm not sure if that'll help.
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/RR_94066
bobbycason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 04:33 PM   #3
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbycason View Post
I know they say that automotive shocks will give a rougher ride but I used these and don't have a problem with the ride. (Tipping the scales at 400# might help with that. ) They appear to be close to the dimensions you have with the KYB KG5517 so I'm not sure if that'll help.
I'm not too worried about the ride with the KYB's, it's more the fact that they may bottom out too easily. With only 2.5" of compression from the ride height, I think that will limit me too much.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:22 PM   #4
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

Quote:
I decided to order those shocks you told me about from Napa today. They will give me 3 3/4" extension and 2 3/4" compression. I think they should be fine. considering they are made for a car, I'm sure they will not be compressing all that much and for $23.95 each, how can I go wrong. Thanks again.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:35 PM   #5
bobbycason
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70oldsracer View Post
I decided to order those shocks you told me about from Napa today. They will give me 3 3/4" extension and 2 3/4" compression. I think they should be fine. considering they are made for a car, I'm sure they will not be compressing all that much and for $23.95 each, how can I go wrong. Thanks again.
That's what I figured too with a price like that what would it hurt to try them. I originally saw someone else post on here that had a lifted cart and used those shocks but I can't find that post again, I happened across it when i was googling shocks one day.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:30 PM   #6
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

Quote:
That's what I figured too with a price like that what would it hurt to try them. I originally saw someone else post on here that had a lifted cart and used those shocks but I can't find that post again, I happened across it when i was googling shocks one day.
My Napa shocks will be here tomorrow. It came to $121.00 for all four plus shipping to the store and tax. Take a look at the Monroe shock, part # 5826. Amazon has them for $24.09 free shipping (prime) and no tax. With a 13.50" ride height, they would have 2.875" of extension and 3.375" of compression. A little less extension, but a little more compression than the Napa's. Looks like a good choice too. You could get the Monroe shock Part # 31069 which is the exact same dimensions as the Napa shock, but it's only $18.87 on Amazon. That's only $75.48 for all 4 shocks.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:04 AM   #7
bobbycason
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70oldsracer View Post
My Napa shocks will be here tomorrow. It came to $121.00 for all four plus shipping to the store and tax. Take a look at the Monroe shock, part # 5826. Amazon has them for $24.09 free shipping (prime) and no tax. With a 13.50" ride height, they would have 2.875" of extension and 3.375" of compression. A little less extension, but a little more compression than the Napa's. Looks like a good choice too. You could get the Monroe shock Part # 31069 which is the exact same dimensions as the Napa shock, but it's only $18.87 on Amazon. That's only $75.48 for all 4 shocks.
Yeah I looked at the Monroe shocks first but for me the shocks were a last minute "oh $hit" moment when I put the bigger tires on right before we were loading up to go camping. None of the local O'reilly's had them in stock but Napa did, and they were a little cheaper.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO