lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-16-2019, 10:03 AM   #1
stoker
Gone Wild

Default 2012 RXV failing Motor brake prematurally

we replaced recently and the new one was aftermarket i believe,but did OHM out at around 26 ohms like the one it replaced.this is state facility with fleet of carts,so i dont usually operate it.we do have some STEEP hills here,so that can factor in,and i wouldnt doubt that they overload cart with heavy tools.any thoughts on what else is causing overheat/smell?thanks
stoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-16-2019, 10:07 AM   #2
A47441
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2012 RXV failing Motor brake prematurally

If you bought the same aftermarket that I purchased, it only lasted 4 months.
Supposed to have a 1 year warranty.....But when I inquired about a warranty on it and they ghosted me.

Switched back to an OEM.

GCG Wichita
A47441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:52 AM   #3
stoker
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfCartGuys View Post
If you bought the same aftermarket that I purchased, it only lasted 4 months.
Supposed to have a 1 year warranty.....But when I inquired about a warranty on it and they ghosted me.

Switched back to an OEM.

GCG Wichita
thanks,this is a Dahaner controller.the original brake is the 610065,they both read 26 ohms,so should be compatiple as far as controller cares..not sure on other mechanical quality of aftermarket brake?
Old 04-16-2019, 11:52 AM   #4
stoker
Gone Wild

update,pulled brake apart,it was definatly overheating.Disk and coil (ohmed at 26) and springs look decent,so cleaned up and reinstalled.Its obvoiusly applying when its not suppose too (while running),so got to troubleshoot that circuit now..maybe coil in brake is failing while under load?
Old 04-16-2019, 11:54 AM   #5
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Or someone is pushing the brake pedal far enough to engage the motor brake.
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:44 PM   #6
stoker
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Or someone is pushing the brake pedal far enough to engage the motor brake.
guess thats a possibility?i wonder what voltage these coils let the park brake (motor brake) semi engage?I just now found a weak batt after load testing..its 4-12V system
Old 04-16-2019, 05:47 PM   #7
jkredman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I’m not maintaining a fleet of carts but one thing I have figured out is this.

A properly tuned controller will slow down the cart without touching the brake pedal.

With my cart I occasionally, if I was too aggressive,or fast, have to ride the brake pedal a bit. Most of the time, I simply release the accelerator, let the controller go into regen and glide to a stop.

That said, I do have the tooling to adjust Curtis programming and have configured my braking to be a bit more aggressive than EZGO does from the factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jkredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 11:30 AM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoker View Post
guess thats a possibility?i wonder what voltage these coils let the park brake (motor brake) semi engage?I just now found a weak batt after load testing..its 4-12V system
Danaher controllers don't have a "preset voltage" they apply to the brake. They apply whatever voltage is required to cause the brake to draw 0.5 amps. That would be completely separate of the battery pack voltage.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:40 PM   #9
stoker
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Danaher controllers don't have a "preset voltage" they apply to the brake. They apply whatever voltage is required to cause the brake to draw 0.5 amps. That would be completely separate of the battery pack voltage.
Thanks again everyone for help!
So,i did a test with rear wheels off ground (this is befor i found 12V batt that was hurting ussing load tester).Pack voltage was reading 50.3V.I ran it for 30 seconds with cart on jack stands and motor brake was HOT to touch.Did a hydro test on batts and seemed fine.So,i used our shop 25amp charger overnight and did same test today and brake stayed cool.At this point,i am suspecting the OEM Powerwise QE 915-4810 charger is faulty as we have had probs with these in past..smallest 48V charger i have ever seen:(
Old 04-17-2019, 02:58 PM   #10
stoker
Gone Wild

So Sergio,please educate me 2012 RXV 5160890 60600G01.this motor brake should never get warm or hot while driving on steep inclines?,stop and go,or coasting down steep declines and ussing brake-pedal?Motor brake is only used for parking ONLY??my first mile of test drivingMB stayed cool,then next mile it heated up,again lots of steep hills and declines here.thanks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO