lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-25-2020, 08:17 PM   #1
doublestack00
Getting Wild

Default RXV brake options?

With my RXV hitting nearly 35 MPH I'm feeling the need for better brakes. What are my options?

Also, with the motor brake supposedly not doing anything other than park brake what's the advantage of the HD one or the HD rebuild kit?

Here lately I feel like my brakes just aren't that great and I need more stopping power.
doublestack00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-26-2020, 10:17 AM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: RXV brake options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublestack00 View Post
With my RXV hitting nearly 35 MPH I'm feeling the need for better brakes. What are my options?

Also, with the motor brake supposedly not doing anything other than park brake what's the advantage of the HD one or the HD rebuild kit?

Here lately I feel like my brakes just aren't that great and I need more stopping power.
Usually we turn up the regen braking to compensate for increased speed. When programming in person, it gets fine tuned to how the driver wants the drive feel to be. Can't do that when programming via mail.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 10:18 AM   #3
doublestack00
Getting Wild

I have a programmer, what should I be looking at to turn up the braking?
Old 05-04-2020, 10:28 AM   #4
mikeb33
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

On this 35 mph cart, is the only brake the one on the motor? Does the braking come from the friction disc, or is that only for parking? Is the braking while driving done electrically through the motor and controller?
mikeb33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 01:42 PM   #5
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb33 View Post
On this 35 mph cart, is the only brake the one on the motor? Does the braking come from the friction disc, or is that only for parking? Is the braking while driving done electrically through the motor and controller?
The motor brake is a parking brake only. Drive braking is done by regen motor braking. It requires reprogramming the controller with a top level programmer to get to the menus where it can be enhanced enough to be effective at high speed. Limitations apply, as in speed gears or oversized tires will limit regen braking effectiveness at high speeds. This is why you really need this to be done by someone with electric vehicle design experience. Otherwise, they don't have a clue of how to go about doing this correctly. Golf carts were not designed for high speed operation, but they can be reconfigured to make it safer. With the RXV, it's mostly done via programming. I always recommend 2 guage battery cables to increase drive and regen efficiency.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 01:45 PM   #6
doublestack00
Getting Wild

I'm installing the Jakes disc kit to solve the issue. The cart is just so fast and gets there so quick I think it really needs it.
Old 05-04-2020, 02:29 PM   #7
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If you're talking about the disc brake kit for the front wheels, there is a very good youtube video about the install in case you didn't know.

I've been thinking about this myself. Bob programed my controller in the cart and tweaked the regen so it is pretty good even at 32mph+ but a real panic stop with 4 adults on it could be an issue.

I hope you will follow up in this thread with your experience if you do it.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 02:49 PM   #8
doublestack00
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
If you're talking about the disc brake kit for the front wheels, there is a very good youtube video about the install in case you didn't know.

I've been thinking about this myself. Bob programed my controller in the cart and tweaked the regen so it is pretty good even at 32mph+ but a real panic stop with 4 adults on it could be an issue.

I hope you will follow up in this thread with your experience if you do it.

Will do. When loaded down is what I worry about or when someone takes the cart out that is not used to the distance it needs to stop. Living in PTC our cart sees a ton of on road use at high speeds.
Old 05-04-2020, 04:30 PM   #9
Twilson12992
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublestack00 View Post
Will do. When loaded down is what I worry about or when someone takes the cart out that is not used to the distance it needs to stop. Living in PTC our cart sees a ton of on road use at high speeds.

I’ve got the Jakes kit on my RXV. Good looking kit and very easy install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Twilson12992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 04:41 PM   #10
doublestack00
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilson12992 View Post
I’ve got the Jakes kit on my RXV. Good looking kit and very easy install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Would you say it was worth it?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO