lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-06-2010, 06:55 PM   #1
jlhog
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Marathon Molding Trim

I am looking at not putting the molding back on my cart. I know I will need to do some grind and filling. But are there any tips to make the job easier for me? Anyone have pictures of their Marathon without the molding they can share?
jlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-06-2010, 07:39 PM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Marathon Molding Trim

Some people will say it's a real B**ch to reinstall the trim on a Marathon ... But as long as you go through the metal molded channel that holds it and reshape any flattened or bent spots prior to actually replacing the trim, it goes pretty well. A definite plus is to heat it up a bit with a blow dryer as you go to keep it flexible, and also make sure once you've locked a section in (say every 4 inches or so) give the remainder a good stretch as you're putting it on, otherwise you'll get to the end and be short almost every time.

As to which side of the trim to hook and which side to stretch over the channelling, I personally tried it both ways and it really didn't make it easier either way, make sure to take extra care around the serrated corners though as it's easy to hook and tear the moulding ...

Good Luck!
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:49 PM   #3
jlhog
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Brew,
Thanks for the tips, but I am looking at not putting it back on. Besides the price for the molding, I think it looks cleaner without it. I just need to know if it can be done fairly easy.
jlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:59 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It can be done but it looks like dog doo
You get an unfinished edge

Check out the fundraiser thread we about to auction off a roll of that precious stuff !
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:41 PM   #5
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

oops - yeah, I just reread your post a bit more accurately, sorry about that.

And not to be a downer, but I've seen a couple of carts where guys took a boatload of time and energy to clean up the channel, etc and run without the trim, and as Scotty said, it's pretty unattractive (to say the least) - in my opinion it makes the front end look weak and flimsy in a way, if that makes sense...

Not to say you might not just be the guy to pull it off successfully :)
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:22 PM   #6
caddymankc
WILD

E-Z-GO

If your lowering or keeping it stock the cart it looks great, i dont know how it would look lifted i saw a pic of one shaved and stretched into a limo and it looked cool.Plus the trim in the front is a pain in the butt to put on.
caddymankc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:47 AM   #7
chardonite
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I put new molding on mine spent about $60.00. It was well worth it. The overall look with the new molding can't be beat in my opinion. (for what it's worth)
chardonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:24 AM   #8
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Took me 2 nights to get mine back on but I am sure glad I did it for the reasons posted above. I reused my old molding but sprayed it Krylon gloss black. If you want to see what it looks like without the molding there are a few pictures on the blog below

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:17 PM   #9
acman2u
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

New or old, I got a tip from another member to put the molding in a 5 gallon pail of hot water for about 15 minutes first so it is more workable.
acman2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:18 PM   #10
RVtech
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Throw each piece in the clothes drier for about 5 minutes with a towel and it installs easily.
RVtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO