lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-27-2010, 07:29 PM   #1
pick
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Cool 85 marathon gas tank removal

Just bought an 85 marathon that won't start has decent spark, but I think it sat too long with old gas in it. How do I remove the tank to clean it & re-install so I can put fresh gas in it?
pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-28-2010, 10:18 AM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 85 marathon gas tank removal

it's a tight fit so there's a bit of wrangling involved (if it's at all like my '88, which it should be) - unhook the gas line and unbolt the 2 bolts holding the tank in place, then you'll have to swing the tank up at one end and give it a little squeeze to clear the lip on the body, it should pull right out then.

Just remember, it's cold, and the tank is plastic - best to get the whole shebang inside a heated shop and up to temp prior to attempting it.

As to cleaning it out, if you have a cart that runs premix and you have anywhere near the sludge I dealt with, you can start with some fresh gas and a 1" dowel that you have cut a bevel into the end of (to use as a rudimentary scraper) - get the worst of the heavy goop out and then more clean gas and dump in a bag of stainless 1/4" nuts and slosh around (and around, and around) until you have dislodged the worst of it - it's tedious work (and I'm sure someone else may have a better or easier idea) but as long as you remember to always mix your gas thoroughly in the gas can (not the tank) it should be quite awhile before it builds up again.
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:17 PM   #3
pick
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the info. My cart still uses the separate oil res. & gas tank. The tank looks pretty clean inside. Just wasn't sure how to get the tank out. I can bring it into my shop to warm it up before removal. I think my problem mainly is stale gas. I have owned several carts before, but this is the first gas one. I got tired of spending $600 every few years on batteries. Thanks again for the info. Hope fresh gas solves my problem.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:19 PM   #4
pick
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

BTW that's a Bad looking cart you have there. Hope to get mine lifted in the future.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:26 PM   #5
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Thanks! As to the gas issue, you might want to pop the $4 for a new fuel filter while you're at it (they varnish up pretty quickly) and it wouldn't hurt to pull the carb and clean the jets (one is in the nut that holds the float bowl on, one is right inside the float bowl, one is on top of the carb) ... It's 1/2hr well spent, believe me!

And just for inspiration, here's where it all started last summer:

BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:34 PM   #6
pick
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

WOW! That's pretty much what mine looks like now. Thanks for the filter & carb info. I will let you know how it works out.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:38 PM   #7
pick
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Still haven't tackled the carb yet, too freakin cold to mess with it. I did however get gas tank cleaned out & found a cracked fuel hose as well, still wouldn't start even with fresh gas, so it may be a carb issue. Wondering it the muffler may be clogged as well. Ive heard you guys talk about BBQing the muffler. Just how do you do that, in case the carb isn't the culprit?
Old 01-02-2011, 06:14 AM   #8
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Barbequeing the muffler is something of a misnomer. All you need to do it to get it sufficiently hot to burn out the oil residue. So remove your muffler and build a nice fire in your backyard. Place the muffler onto the fire and within 30 minutes you should see flames shooting out of the tailpipe and the other end. Give it another 30 or so and you will be done. Two small points, if you can weigh the muffler before and after, it is fun to see how much crap has collected in there. Second, beer makes the job more interesting.
Dave

Last edited by Dave Box; 01-02-2011 at 06:14 AM.. Reason: .
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:30 AM   #9
pick
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: 85 marathon gas tank removal

Thanks Dave, for the info! I guess I will gather the family, head to the backyard with a 30 pack, lite up the fire & watch the show. Somehow beer makes everything more entertaining. Isn't that why all carts have can or bottle holders? Thanks again, all you guys are lots of help to us new guys on the quest to fix the cart.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO