lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-03-2011, 10:18 AM   #21
james-s
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: brand new sport 2+2 overheats and stalls

Yeah Doug you sure said how I feel about it, I bought new because the cart is for my elderly mother 150 miles away, and I didn't want any maintenance issues that might come with a used cart. Turns out I probably would have had fewer issues with a used cart.
james-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-03-2011, 11:24 AM   #22
todo_brane_ded
.....He, not ME

E-Z-GO

I read the spec's on the cart from the mfg'r. The controller is 250 Amp, the motor 3 HP Shunt wound.

I also re-read the OP's original post and it's fishy to me (not his comments) that it goes only 5 minutes and then shuts down, with only one person in the cart.

Me thinks that there's something else amiss here other than just a design flaw. I mean if the problem's that extreme then their solution, holes and fans, isn't going to do it.....the 5 minutes of run time is what bothers me.

If it's a known issue by EZ-GO it's doubtful, in my opinion, that such an extreme problem would have been fielded with a new model cart.

Perhaps a cart loaded with 4 people, driving a couple of hours overheats possibly warrants a temporary interim fix of fans and holes until a solution can be found; but 5 MINUTES? Doubtful. I'm not saying the problem doesn't exist. I'm saying it likely doesn't exist in this instance because of the short duration of drive time.....

I would visit other forums and get more input and perspective from other ST users before I let this dealer do any more mods....

JMO.
todo_brane_ded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:51 AM   #23
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

I have yet had to add a fan and drill holes in the cover to a cart, either new or used. I have not heard or read anything bout this mod from EZGO.

I would politely ask the dealer to swap controllers from another cart. I have done that to make a customer happy.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:32 PM   #24
dougmcp
Gone Wild

The specs on the lifted ST2+2 are the same as the fleet golf cart with the exception of the rear axle ratio (12.44:1 vs 14.76:1) which should more than offset the tire size and additional seat load.
With a 48v cart, the 250 amp controller should work fine for most situations.
Although sepex carts are known to overheat when used at low speeds, I agree 5 minutes is a little quick for this to go into thermal shutdown.
With a little old lady driving this thing you should almost never expect to replace the controller let alone drilling holes and installing fans in it.
I'd be inclined to swap out the controller as COURTESYCART said.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:21 PM   #25
james-s
Not Yet Wild

So, CourtesyCart, as a dealer, do you believe the tech guy I talked to at E-Z-Go was just blowing me off and pushing the problem back to the dealer? Should I not let the dealer do what the tech guy says is their recommended fix?
Old 05-03-2011, 03:49 PM   #26
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

I have talked to tech line several times as well as my local service rep and not once have they recommended me to drill holes and install a fan. My service reps son works for us also. Now I know on the EZGO 2Five (lsv) there is a fan on the controller, but on the RXV (lsv is based off of it) there is no fan.

What the dealer needs to do is drive teh cart with a volt meter attached to the output side of the solenoid. When the cart stops they need to verify the solenoid is not failing, thats its staying engaged when the cart stops. If the solenoid is not failing than they need to check output voltage of the controller until it stops. A load test of batteries also needs to be done. I have had a 1 brand new 2011 48v txt give similar issues and it had a bad battery.

something about this whole situation just doesn't seem right to me. If i had the cart I woudl swap controller with another to see if it fixes the issue. If that doesn't fis teh issue than I may go about the fan. IMO what is the point of having the environmental cover over electronics if its has holes so everything get on it. This makes no since to me.

It seems to me the dealer is just playing with you instead of fixing the cart and making you happy. My goal as a dealer is to make all my customers happy even if it cost me a few bucks in the process. There is no better advertisement than customer praise to their buddies.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:31 PM   #27
todo_brane_ded
.....He, not ME

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by COURTESYCART View Post
I have talked to tech line several times as well as my local service rep and not once have they recommended me to drill holes and install a fan. My service reps son works for us also. Now I know on the EZGO 2Five (lsv) there is a fan on the controller, but on the RXV (lsv is based off of it) there is no fan.

What the dealer needs to do is drive teh cart with a volt meter attached to the output side of the solenoid. When the cart stops they need to verify the solenoid is not failing, thats its staying engaged when the cart stops. If the solenoid is not failing than they need to check output voltage of the controller until it stops. A load test of batteries also needs to be done. I have had a 1 brand new 2011 48v txt give similar issues and it had a bad battery.

something about this whole situation just doesn't seem right to me. If i had the cart I woudl swap controller with another to see if it fixes the issue. If that doesn't fis teh issue than I may go about the fan. IMO what is the point of having the environmental cover over electronics if its has holes so everything get on it. This makes no since to me.

It seems to me the dealer is just playing with you instead of fixing the cart and making you happy. My goal as a dealer is to make all my customers happy even if it cost me a few bucks in the process. There is no better advertisement than customer praise to their buddies.
Agreed....Frankly I would get as far away as possible from this dealer if possible.

I think there's something amiss here and it isn't due to a factory product problem......5 minutes & NO-GO equals component failure....
todo_brane_ded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:16 PM   #28
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

What year is the cart? I know you said it was new, but the newest 2+2 models went to the PDS configuration in 2010 (I think)). Upon doing this, the controller should be a VPS PDS Controller, in which the thermal overload had somewhat been disabled.

EZGO Tech support should NOT have to deal with the customer. EZGO Dealerships (SELLING DEALERSHIP) need to address the problems that their customers are having - That's where the buck stops. If your controller is bad, then the dealer should replace it with a new one. EZGO will supply him with the credits and labor after the job is complete. Drilling holes and mounting fans will NOT help a controller that is already going into a thermal shut down.

This is all part of being a Factory dealership and selling new vehicles...

I will say, however, if you need to call another dealership for the repairs, don't expect them to pick up / deliver for free, as that is NOT included in the warranty reimbursement policy for EZGO...

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:43 PM   #29
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

OP can you give us the serial number. We just want to verify what cart you have. We want to make sure you got a new cart and not a refurb cart the dealer put together.

I agree with mike. I was hoping he would chime in.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:23 AM   #30
james-s
Not Yet Wild

Hey guys, sorry, I run 2 garden centers and a landscape business and the week running up to mothers day is crazy!!! I just called my mom, The dealer has already showed up at her place and mounted a fan, and maybe the hill climbing chip, she's not sure. The cart serial number is SN-2725267, I'm so naive I never even thought about it being a refurb, probably isn't but thanks for pointing out the possibility. After calling factory tech support and being told the fan was the fix recommended by them, I figured that's what I would have to accept, at least until it failed.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO