lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-09-2011, 09:35 PM   #1
mod9
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default muffler

ok i just bought my first ezgo cart.i am totally hooked but here is the deal.i must i mean must make it quieter.my wife says its a must.the muffler on it has 2 big oval holes in the side of it.is that normal? can i change the way the exhaust is routed and put on like a flow master or something?
mod9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-09-2011, 10:52 PM   #2
mod9
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: muffler

oh also im not looking for any gains by any means.im just looking to quiet it down so my wife feels ok when she drives it at the race track.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:07 PM   #3
mr2nr
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

What year model is it? Most mufflers only have two holes the inlet and outlet. I would first remove it and check the gaskets and then make sure all the bolts are tight. Modifying the exhaust is very tricky on these as the back pressure and harmonics are very different than automotive applications but feel free to experiment :).
mr2nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:46 PM   #4
mod9
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

you guys are going to laugh at me but i found that the holes on the side are the old monting hardware brakets.they have rotten off or got ripped off of the muffler.the guy i got it from must have just jimmy rigged it to stay on. i am going to try and see if i can modify a small exhaust from flow master or borla or something.will it damage the motor to have not enough back pressure?
Old 07-10-2011, 08:13 AM   #5
mr2nr
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod9 View Post
you guys are going to laugh at me but i found that the holes on the side are the old monting hardware brakets.they have rotten off or got ripped off of the muffler.the guy i got it from must have just jimmy rigged it to stay on. i am going to try and see if i can modify a small exhaust from flow master or borla or something.will it damage the motor to have not enough back pressure?
lol there is no way of telling if it will hurt the motor or not. Your compression could be minimal and this could do it in. I would say running without any bp will not hurt it in theory but these motors have been tested with the OEM muffler changing that and you are on your own. You also have thermal issues that could arise. What year is it?
Old 07-10-2011, 10:10 AM   #6
mod9
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

according to what i have read its a 1987. if i got a air flow monitor.(which i think my buddy has)i could get the holes on the muffler plugged up and take a reading then try and match.i understand that i wouldn't most likely increase back pressure with a automotive exhaust but i wasn't sure if these little motors could get hurt by not having enough back pressure.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:10 AM   #7
mod9
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

oh by the way i love top gear also.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:42 PM   #8
mod9
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

hey mr2nr just giving you a update.i took a reading and i believe i can get the same flow rate if i step the size of the pipe before the muffler.probably going to take 3 steps but definitely do-able.ill take pictures as i go and let everyone see.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:14 PM   #9
mr2nr
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod9 View Post
hey mr2nr just giving you a update.i took a reading and i believe i can get the same flow rate if i step the size of the pipe before the muffler.probably going to take 3 steps but definitely do-able.ill take pictures as i go and let everyone see.
Great!!! Would love too see an aftermarket muffler choice sub 100$ that is as quiet as stock. Please keep us posted.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO