lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-12-2011, 05:52 PM   #11
jrohdy
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 83 EZ GO Marathon

Well, I did some work today on my cart, here is what I have done so far. First, I took the starter/generator to a local auto electric company to have it tested, everything good. so I went ahead and bought a new battery. Checked all my wires again and found the 2 for the accelerator switch, so I for now I just touched the 2 wires together and turned the engine over. While turning the engine over I checked to make sure I have spark,(spark was good) and checked compression, which was 135psi. So looking at the carb now. Hopefully tomorrow I can clean or get a different carb and get a accelerator switch ordered. thanks for everybody's help.
jrohdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-12-2011, 06:18 PM   #12
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Those are good numbers. I hope it all works out
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:13 AM   #13
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

This is a great diagram to assist with your carb cleaning - rarely do these 2-stroke carbs actually go "bad", chances are if you clean all the jets that I have circled (as well as the needle valve for the float, also circled) you should be back in business with your carb!

BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:43 PM   #14
jrohdy
Not Yet Wild

Hey thanks for the diagram BrewcityMusic, I just noticed when I started cleaning the carb, it was missing the jet on top. so instead of just looking for another jet, was wondering if anyone knows where to get a used carb or has one to sell please let me know. the engine is a Robin EC25-2PG.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:37 PM   #15
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

ouch .... You should (maybe) be able to order the jet from EZGO or a site sponsor, might be a better bet than $100-ish plus shipping for a new carb if you can't find a used one

(I'm at work but will look up the part number for you in the AM and post it - I would think if it's available it should be well under $10 - then again, I could be wrong, I atually priced Pulsars and Ignitors once *shiver* )
Old 07-14-2011, 06:47 PM   #16
jrohdy
Not Yet Wild

ok, went to a local ezgo dealer and got a new carb and accelerator micro switch. fired right up and took off, not for sure how fast they are to go but seemed like it ran good a old golf cart. I did run into one problem as I was running her around for awhile. Sometimes when I held it wide open it would die on me. shut the key off wait a couple minutes, and it would start right back up. I put a new plug in it, and the third time it did it and had my spark tester with, and it seem as if it had spark? or maybe not enough? and the brakes are froze up on it which for sitting I expected that, so if anyone as any suggestions please let me know. thanks
Old 07-14-2011, 09:36 PM   #17
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

I'm leaning towards sticky solenoid overheating or maybe a really gooed up muffler, what's your opinion Dave?
Old 07-14-2011, 09:45 PM   #18
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Mine threw blue smoke when the muffler heated up from running open. Really it bogged down on whenever it revved up due to the muffler being gooey, not just at full throttle.
ScooterMcTavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:47 AM   #19
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

I vote that it's time for a muffler BBQ. (and as my success rate is currently in the doldrums I also suggest a blocked fuel filter that cannot pass enough gas for wide open).

Anywho I like threads that include the words "got her running". Good job

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:43 AM   #20
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

to explain the muffler concept, what happens with these 2-smokers is that over time, a large amount of uncombusted oil gets passed through the engine and ends up building up in the muffler, partially plugging the baffles - it's actually not uncommon for these mufflers to plug up entirely, in fact.

The easiest test is to open up the bolts that hold the muffler to the headpipe so that there is a 1/2" gap between the muffler and the pipe, then give her a drive (caution: your neighbors are gonna HATE you because it's very VERY loud) - if your performance increases, and the hot shutdown doesn't happen, then you need to search "muffler bbq" here on the threads and do it, the procedure burns out the majority of (if not all) the uncombusted goo in the muffler and restores a HUGE percentage of the original performance.

If bychance the test proves that the problem lies elsewhere, then we need to look at a couple of potential issues, likely a stuck solenoid that is overheating after a bit of running and shutting you down til it cools, possibly a faulty ignitor (however if you are still getting spark while it's in the "no-start" mode, those are less-likely candidates)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO