lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-12-2011, 11:24 AM   #1
Marsharo
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default Key alternative

My campground has seen a higher than normal amount of golf carts being used/stolen/broken at night over the past couple of months. It occurs to me it is someone who knows there are only a couple different keys to Ez Go's and/or understands the simplicity in the electrical wiring and is just bypassing the key altogether. My question to you all is this; Has this ever been a concern for you? How did you prevent your cart from being jacked? I have thought about a battery disconnect but if they are smart enough to go under the seat to bypass the key then they will see the disconnect anyway. I have also considered a different key system but that still leaves it totally vulnerable to bypassing. Ideas?
Marsharo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-12-2011, 11:47 AM   #2
Shrekage
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Key alternative

I helped a friend of mine by placing a toggle switch in an inconspicuous location that had to be turned on for the cart to go so if someone bypasses the key switch the cart wouldn't go. it would keep the "honest" criminals at bay, but if someone had time to troubleshoot, it could be found... in my friends case, we took the leads to the microswitch for the accelerator, and the switch was under the front left fender well.
Shrekage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:54 AM   #3
Marsharo
Getting Wild
Yamaha

That is an interesting idea... how did you keep the mud/dirt from screwing wit hthe toggle mechanism? did you have it covered somehow?
Old 07-12-2011, 01:03 PM   #4
Shrekage
Not Yet Wild

in his situation it was mostly used on pavement, so we just used a waterproof toggle switch. Since he put them up nightly (and turned the switches off) there was never any problem with mud/dirt. we did 5 carts and his nighttime joyriders went away...
Old 07-12-2011, 03:31 PM   #5
Spawn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I use a Kevlar bike lock around the seat and the steering wheel. I looked at a club but it pulls on the brake peddle and wouldn't work right on our carts. I turn it full so if they tried to push it it would only go in a circle.

BTW it also limits the seat being raised much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20110712-00014.jpg (23.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20110712-00015.jpg (46.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20110712-00016.jpg (30.8 KB, 9 views)
Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:35 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
I use a Kevlar bike lock around the seat and the steering wheel. I looked at a club but it pulls on the brake peddle and wouldn't work right on our carts. I turn it full so if they tried to push it it would only go in a circle.

BTW it also limits the seat being raised much.
That's a good idea Plenty enough of a deterrent to make a criminal go on to the next cart
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:40 PM   #7
Shrekage
Not Yet Wild

Now why didn't I think of that...
Old 07-12-2011, 03:46 PM   #8
Spawn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I got a call last month from the campground and they said they found my cart in the woods.
I told them I had my cart. The night before we left someone took the parking sticker off my cart and placed it on another blue cart and went joy ridding. I guess till it ran out of gas or the batteries died. I never did find out what happened with it. Seems like someone would have reported a missing cart to the campground.
Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:06 PM   #9
Marsharo
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Yeah, the last 2 carts that went missing in our campground belonged to the same guy. they took them both and played demo derby with them. they found one wheels up submerged in the river. the other not to far away... mostly in pieces. It is an older gentleman and they were 100% stock.

I love the Kevlar lock and I think that is definitely the way I am going to go. Thanks for the advise. it seems we always overlook the obvious.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO