lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-31-2011, 04:45 PM   #1
sheffs
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Cool 84 marathon wont start

84 marathon i just put a new battery in it and it wont do anything does anyone have any suggestions on what to look at and were to start i don't know a whole lot about golf carts any help will be greatly appreciated

thanks
sheffs
sheffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-01-2011, 12:00 AM   #2
racin161
Gone Wild

Default Re: 84 marathon wont start

Start by checking the ground connections.Make sure frame ground is real clean remove the cable and lightly sand it then make sure the ground cable or strap to the engine is clean and tight this always seems to be over looked. Try that and get back with us.
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:28 AM   #3
sheffs
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

OK i took apart the grounds and cleaned and sanded all connections but still nothing any other suggestions

thanks
sheffs
Old 08-01-2011, 09:14 AM   #4
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

your next move is to inspect the keyswitch for proper operation (jumping or bypassing it is the easiest way to do that) - if all looks OK move down to the accelerator microswitch (this one you're better off testing with the cart on stands to make sure it doesn't decide at that of all times to start and run you over) ...

Let's assume you are passing power through both of those switches, then we need to look at the solenoid (as above, make sure all wires are tight, grounds are secure and nice and clean, etc) - put a DMM's red lead on the large post with the cable that goes to the starter and ground the other black lead (make sure you are set to 20VDC range) and give it a shot - you should be seeing 12v or so. If you aren't, move the red lead to the other big post just to ensure you're getting voltage from the battery. Now, the final test is to put the red lead on the small solenoid post on the starter side and try the pedal, you should be seeing 12v or so (if not you need to recheck the above)

If the solenoid is getting power from the battery as well as a signal from the key/pedal but not clicking or engaging and passing power to the starter, then you will need to recheck all connections, the basic path is power into solenoid from battery, power out from large post to key and pedal switch, then power back into small post on solenoid under the starter cable when pedal is depressed - here's a wiring diagram to help you out but if that path is good then you, my friend, likely have a bad solenoid.

BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:16 AM   #5
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

The ignition on the 2PG is very straightforward and the fact that nothing happens means that the problem will be simple to rectify but to trouble shoot you will need a Multimeter that will measure volts and ohms. Do you have a meter?

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:21 AM   #6
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

.... and beaten to the punch by Brew City, take it away BCM

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:37 AM   #7
sheffs
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

ok i have a multimeter but first how do i jump or bypass the keyswitch to check that

thanks
sheffs
Old 08-01-2011, 09:57 AM   #8
racin161
Gone Wild

Take the 2 wires off of the switch and connect them or a wire with alligator clips post to post.Then listen for the solenoid to click if it does your throttle switch is good and bad key switch.
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:00 AM   #9
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

easy - there are 2 posts on the back of the switch, you can either jump them with a wire (making sure to leave the existing wires in place) OR you can remove the 2 wires from the posts and twist them together, your choice (all you are doing is making the connection that the keyswitch is designed to do)

if jumping the wires works, then your keyswitch is bad, to be entirely safe you can (with the wires unhooked from the posts) put your meter across the keyswitch posts with it set to "continuity" and try the switch, you should see the meter read it opening and closing as you turn the key on and off
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:01 AM   #10
sheffs
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

ok i am following the wire diagram and advice from brew city i am trying to test the solenoid i put my meter on post A and to ground and get 12 volts then i put my meter on post B and get nothing does this mean i have a bad solenoid if so were can i get a new one??

thanks
sheffs
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO