lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-10-2012, 11:20 AM   #1
mr_udy
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default EZGO ST350 Workhorse for Towing a Thatcher?

Not sure if i am posting in correct area...

Anyone use there cart to tow a thatcher? I think it'd do it but didnt know it these carts were built for doing things like this for a long period of time (i have 2 acre and 30" pull behind thatcher)
mr_udy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-10-2012, 11:33 AM   #2
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO ST350 Workhorse for Towing a Thatcher?

A couple times a year I use mine to pull a thatcher on a beach. Our community sandy beachfront is about 300' x 70'. I use the thatcher to rake out all the sticks, lake weeds & whatever. Usually fills a couple of 30 gallon garbage cans pretty full. Really cleans the place up a lot. But there is a lot of sand & dust flying around. Usually me & the cart need a good bath afterwards. Not to mention the cart's air cleaner.

I usually have to stack some weight on the thatcher to keep it upright & digging down into the sand...... I think about 80 - 100 lbs. The cart has a 24 hp Honda in it & has more than enough power to pull it.

AirJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:37 AM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

You can pull that dethatcher no prob. I've done it, prob the same dethatcher LOL. Mine's a Brinly 40" and I have a 50" aerator I've used too. Go slow, don't put too much weight on it.

Be carefull, dethatching is only recommended if you have unhealthy turf. A certain amount of thatch is needed for proper nitrogen production from the clippings of the grass. Removing the thatch will shock the grass and you will damage the roots. The grass will need a good drink and some food immediately after to recover properly. Most lawns don't ever need dethatching.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:12 AM   #4
mr_udy
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks guys for confirmation of being able to use a cart for de-thatching. Nice to be able to put my cart to use a bit more...other than running around the yard entertaining myself and the kids.

Thanks also for turf care advice. My yard is in rough shape and i've mulch in all my leaves/lawn clippings by multiple pass cutting...so the thatch is building up and i feel it needs some "churning" and subsequent overseeding and watering/feeding as you recomend. On a lawn care note, i'm also thinking of getting a spike aerator to tow...knowing full well that a plug aerator is better (but way more costly...unless anyone knows of a towbehind "core/plug" model?).
Old 09-12-2012, 10:46 AM   #5
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Slight derail but thought you might be amused.....

Ever since I bought a cart, I thought it would be fun to own a good sized chunk of land & be able to use my cart to drag a series of gang reel mowers to get the lawn.... or football field..... mowed.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:13 AM   #6
mr_udy
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

ha... I'd much rather bomb with my cart around on a beach as in your signature photo!
Old 09-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #7
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

HEhe, no doubt the sand is a good time. As is the snow.... ice.... even tall grass/weeds in a meadow.
Set these things up right & they are very useful.... and a blast!
Old 09-17-2012, 06:40 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Nitrogen also breaks down things, it can make the thatch go away a lot faster. That is how you get leaves to break down fast in a garden. You should test the soil and see if you need lime/etc. Good soil is key.

Carts will pull more than you think, though I would not want to work one too hard. If you have to keep your foot down all the time then it may be too much for it.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:50 AM   #9
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_udy View Post
Thanks guys for confirmation of being able to use a cart for de-thatching. Nice to be able to put my cart to use a bit more...other than running around the yard entertaining myself and the kids.

Thanks also for turf care advice. My yard is in rough shape and i've mulch in all my leaves/lawn clippings by multiple pass cutting...so the thatch is building up and i feel it needs some "churning" and subsequent overseeding and watering/feeding as you recomend. On a lawn care note, i'm also thinking of getting a spike aerator to tow...knowing full well that a plug aerator is better (but way more costly...unless anyone knows of a towbehind "core/plug" model?).

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...&ci_kw=aerator

I've got one like this, but pull it with my lawn tractor. It does a great job
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:59 AM   #10
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

This was with the stock engine,

The roller is filled with about 35 gallons of water. So, the entire rig weighs about 400 lbs.

The weak point is the brakes. With the boat on it requires special attention.
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts