lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-23-2012, 10:01 PM   #21
SCTurkeyHunter1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Controller question

It's the one with the green face. The needle gauge at the top does not work. I will be putting it on charge in the morning. Rode all day today without problems. While i'm checking the batteries I was riding it and then charging to build the batteries back up from the minor charges that I was giving it when I thought my charger was actually working. It will be Tuesday before I can get the answers because of my work schedule. I really do thank the both of you for being so helpful with this!
SCTurkeyHunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-24-2012, 07:40 AM   #22
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The good news is: The Green-Face charger is actually an automatic type charger.
The bad news is: It isn't working.
The not so bad news is: The problem might that it is simply not being used right.

Both the Black-Face and the Blue-Face are manual chargers.
Notice that their timers count down to the OFF position.
Then notice that the timer on the Green-Face counts up to the OFF position.

Turning the Green-face charger ON & OFF is done by an internally mounted control board and all the timer does is tells you how long it took the on-charge voltage to reach the predetermined cut-off voltage (Typically 44-46 volts for a 36v battery pack), or it acts as a back-up timer to shut off charger is cut-off voltage isn't reached in 12 hours.

The way it is supposed to work is that you plug into AC power and plug output cable into cart. Turn the timer knob to "START" and the transformer will hum and the charger's ammeter will jump to about 15A to 20A.

It depends on how deeply the battery pack is discharged, but after a half hour or so, the charger's ammeter will decrease to the 5A to 10A range as the on-charge voltage climbs above about 42V.

The charger's ammeter then stays at 10A or less until the on-charge battery pack voltage climbs into the 44V to 46V range and the control board shuts off charger. This could take several hours for a deeply discharged battery pack, but not very long for a lightly discharged battery pack.

Here is a wiring diagram for a Total Charge (No Suffix), but the schematic is for a TC-III, which is electrically the same except for not having the mechanical elapsed time indicator / back-up timer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Total Charge - Green Face - Wiring Diagram.jpg (78.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg TC-III Schematic.jpg (77.0 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:37 AM   #23
SCTurkeyHunter1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I have never seen the ammeter move on this charger even before I was having problems. So basically what you are saying is that if the charger is still humming after a solid 12 hour charge, that there is a weak battery or pack? I have only had the cart a year and it has always charged a full 12 hours and never shut off automatically. I plan on getting a pack reading in the morning after I get off.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:53 AM   #24
SCTurkeyHunter1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok, Battery Pack measures 38.2 and all batteries measure 6.3
Old 09-25-2012, 08:35 AM   #25
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Please post picture of charger faceplate (and innards if possible), so I can be sure your charger is the type I think it is.
There are more flavors of chargers out there than Baskin-Robbins has flavors of ice cream.

Relay in charger might have been bypassed by a previous owner. That is a common "Fix" for a bad control board.

If the charger's Ammeter has never shown any amps flowing and the batteries are being charged, somebody has bypassed it also.
(The ammeter is in series with the charge loop and they tend to fail open rather than shorted, but I have seen stranger things.)

Pictures from top, left side and right side with cover off would probably reveal what has been done to your charger and what is needed to fix it.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:47 AM   #26
SCTurkeyHunter1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

]

Old 09-25-2012, 09:53 AM   #27
SCTurkeyHunter1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The guy that fixed it put a new copasiter in it and also if it helps the reset button doesn't work.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:38 AM   #28
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

They relay on the control board has been bypassed.
In the bottom picture, the black wire from the fuse should go to the black cube on the PC board and then another wire from there to the timer.
That means the Control Board is probably bad, so it might take a new control board will turn your charger back into an automatic one.

Unless that brownish colored thing bus between the two terminals on the ammeter, is a copper bus, it should be reading some amps, unless it is shorted internally.
A replacement ammeter will fix that problem.

You've got the makings of an automatic charger. It just needs a couple parts to return it to its original glory.

Added: the reset button is a 50A circuit breaker, pushing the red button may not do anything unless the breaker had tripped.

Last edited by JohnnieB; 09-25-2012 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: Added info
Old 09-25-2012, 11:30 AM   #29
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I'm not 100% positive but the charger may only put out full potential with the board bypassed... this is bad news for your battery pack (12 hours at a time) if it is the case? Johnnie?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:22 PM   #30
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Scotty, all the control boards do in the automatic chargers with ferroresonant transformers, is turn charger on and turn charger off.
ON when a predetermined battery pack voltage is detected.
OFF when the on-charge voltage reaches a predetermined level, or when the back-up timer times out if the board has a built in safety timer.
(The OP's charger uses a separate mechanical timer for this purpose)

Initial charge rate (Amps) and charger curve are determined by the matched ferroresonant transformer/capacitor pair and the battery pack's on-charge voltage.

With or without a control board, a typical 36V ferroresonant transformer type Golf Cart charger will start out at about 20A and decrease to about 8A as on-charge battery pack voltage climbs through about 42.5V. Then the charge current drops off to around 3 or 4 amps as the on-charge voltage climbs past the 44 to 46 volt range, so the charger basically becomes a trickle charger after the first four to six hours.
That is why I refer to it as an elegant design.

There are a ton of variables, but that is fundamentally how ferroresonant transformer type chargers work.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO