lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-26-2008, 12:19 PM   #1
Monsterezgokid
Kid no more!!

E-Z-GO

Default Overboaring the 295

Hey everyone,

Well let me start off with saying, i have 2 295's to rebuild, and they will eventualy be going into some highend carts, but before i start ordering parts for them, i want to know about the possibility of overboaring the 295 to 350, and putting the 350 pistion in it.

The reason i ask is because, i saw this: http://www.lvssales.com/rebuilt_engi...rformance.html
and i plan on putting the long duration cam that they sell as well into the engines, and upgrading them to the 350 carb if this plan works.

Any opinions on this. I have the engine rebuilding book from ezgo, and i cant really find out if there is a limitation on the 295 block overboaring it to 350?

The 295 bore is "2.519-2.520"std, and the 350 is "2.6378-2.6385" std

we are basicaly talking about a 3mm increase

Thanks, this should be a fun project. It will be a step by step thread with lots of pics if it can be done.
Monsterezgokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-27-2008, 05:36 AM   #2
ruredy
Born Wild

Default Re: Overboaring the 295

Those engine number and stuff from LVS don't make any cense to me, if they're going to throw numbers around at least they should put alittle effort into getting the engine models right. The 350 has a different stroke than the 295. The hot rod 295s end up being 325
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:04 AM   #3
Monsterezgokid
Kid no more!!

E-Z-GO

Maby it has something to do with it being a .50over 350 pistion.. thats a bit too extreme for my case here. i just want to go std.350 pistion for now.

Anyways, so i guess that it can be done. I was looking over the rebuilding manual yesterday, and it looks like there is enough meat in the cylinder walls to do this. At first i was worried that the pistions wouldnt fit the connecting rods. But then saw that the 295, and 350 were the same part# so its cool there.

One of the engines is still in a cart, while the other one is out. So when i get time today, ill take the head off to see what im actualy working with. Things all look good on paper, but its beter to see for yourself.

I also realized that this mod gives you the benifit of the 295 head on basicaly a 350 engine kinda. so we should be seeing some nice compression numbers.

Do you suggest going with the 350 carb on these motors, or just sticking with the original 295?
Old 08-27-2008, 10:53 AM   #4
ruredy
Born Wild

I'm not sure the 350 piston will work in the 295, it depends on the wrist pin location on the piston. the stroke of the cranks are different but they both use the same rod. I bet ezgomike knows if it will work.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 02:01 PM   #5
Saltysteele
Home of the Teeny Weaney

E-Z-GO

i think you should be able to bore it over at least 3/4". then it will go really fast!!!! :B

no, not really, i'm just being stupid today :B
Saltysteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:54 PM   #6
Monsterezgokid
Kid no more!!

E-Z-GO

Well i kinda started tearing into one of the motors, im not going to go full speed on this project. my workbench is full of pg3's and pg2's that are being rebuilt so i quickly worked on this one outside this will be more of a winter project i suppose

Just started to take the timing belt cover off, and some of the other bolts. there a bunch of stuff you need to take off before you take the head off. I also took the clutch off. it has a small rattle inside. i found out that on these 4 stroke clutches the pawls are held in with a bolt and a pozilock nut, insead of a crimp pin and rod in the 2cycles.. well i suppose that ezgo puts crap pozilock nuts in because one was off, and the other 2 were near the end of coming off. No damage done though, just tightend them back on, locktight, and made sure the pawls moved freely, and put the clutch back together. The clutch itself was in great condition, no looseness, and no groves on the face.
Also, please hear me out, if you remove more then 2 clutches in your life time. BUY THE EZGO CLUTCH PULLER! it saves like 1000hours of aggravation when screwing around trying to take the clutch off. Just put some grease on the threads, spray some wd40 in the bolt hole, smack it with the impac gun, and presto "clutch off" you get a great feeling once you have it off because it was soooo eazy! You know, that feeling you get when something went so easy, compaired to the regular aggravation and anger that happens when working on things, you know cursing at the striped bolt head, rusted pin, smacking your finger with a sledge hammer when trying to take a ball joint off.. that kind of stuff

The cam looks nice, but it will be replaced

So thats about it soo far... bit by bit i will update this thread
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC08516.jpg (50.8 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08517.jpg (96.0 KB, 61 views)
Old 09-05-2008, 03:08 PM   #7
tracktor312
Not Yet Wild

Looks like a project but do yourself a favor use a penetraiting oil to take things apart it will help alot. wd40 it a water displacement better used for putting things back together to keep water out. I learned this along time ago and it was good advice. hope it helps make life easier for you to. I like PB buster.or good old mystery oil.
tracktor312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 04:24 PM   #8
cuzky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

For all the money you are talking about,you could get a B&S Vanguard 18 kit from CPP ?
cuzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 04:30 PM   #9
Monsterezgokid
Kid no more!!

E-Z-GO

the approx 400$ it cost to do this to this engine is much less then the 1300+ it cost to do a big block. Plus the one cart that this engine will be going in was not intended to be a big block cart, just a bit hopped up.. I have a Club car that will be geting a 24hp honda big block in it
Old 09-05-2008, 04:32 PM   #10
cuzky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Excuse Me
cuzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO