lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-30-2013, 02:06 PM   #1
sassycat
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 4 stroke driven clutch/ramp/helix rebuild

i always say this,but i wanted to add this tid bit of info for others since bgw members always have helped me.
this is the 36 degree driven clutch from aprox a 94 and has many miles on it im sure..
theres a snap ring on the back side, your supposed to gently push down the "helix"3 inch round alum part an 1/8th inch and remove the s.ring and ease the spring off..this is under pressure and could hurt you bad but i knew by mashing it together first it was ok if carefull.i made a threaded rod with washers and 2 nuts too keep it from coming apart till i wanted to later on..

taken apart

notice the new ramp buttons/shoes compared to the old ones..also remember theres a plastic washer on the clutch shaft in the pic and you dont want to loose this.

this is called the helix,some call it a cover.notic the height of the new and old

another pic

my helix had a groove worn into it from the screws that hold the ramp buttons in place,since the buttons were toast
sassycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-30-2013, 02:21 PM   #2
sassycat
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 4 stroke driven clutch/ramp/helix rebuild

i studied this helix a few minutes and i feel"could be wrong" that this wear,should make a noticable diffrence when its replaced as the new helix should cause the belt to go lower in the clutch groove and have just a lil more top end speed..it seems like it anyhow.

new ramp buttons installed 2.59 each x3

notice the new helix sitting on the spring,,there are 3 holes at the bottom that the spring sits in,the one on the left is less torque iirc and the 3rd hole on right is the most torque,and theres 1 hole in the helix also for the other end of spring to sit in.if any of this is wrong i will return and correct it in due time...

i put my spring in the 3rd hole as it was in the first when taken apart.
then you have to turn the helix/dust cover to the right to clock the spring between the 2 ramp pads..not near as easy as takin apart so you may need a buddy to help with this..i managed but was kinda a pita but its over
all back together with snap ring installed..if any of this is wrong i will fix it after i see what the clutch will do in a week or so or less.all could be wrong is the way i clocked it..theres a good link on this but i cant find it now.

heres the best most badd azzz snap ring pliers ive ever owned.they wernt cheap but well worth it,,brand;armstrong,and they come with different tips and they can be used with the push of a button for inner and outer snap rings..there nice imo
Old 04-30-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Very nice write-up. That's exactly how I did mine.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:20 PM   #4
rugerm77
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Glad I found this, I'm in the process of rebuilding mine right now , Just waiting for the Parts to come in from CPP .
I'm Putting a 28 degree Helix & 28 degree ramp buttons in mine but that Cat came apart so fast I didn't know how far to Clock the Spring & what Hole it came out of. Also putting in a Heavy Spring. ( I Need Torque )
rugerm77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:16 AM   #5
BlackBerryHill
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Excellent write up, and great photos. I wish my clutch could have been rebuilt, but it was toast. My driven clutch was an original 96 that never received any maintenance. I have replaced almost everything on my cart since I got it and began the build project. Now that I have seen first hand what happens to a clutch without proper care I will keep this new one in good order. I wish I had some pics available right now to post to show everyone what happens when a clutch is not maintained. Everything inside looks like there was an explosion.
BlackBerryHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #6
rugerm77
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Yea, I just got my Gas'er & have been working to get it ready for Deer Season.
Pretty Much on my way, Jakes Lift Kit , Severe Duty Belt , New Fuel Pump, New Carb. Heavy springs for both Clutches , The springs is the reason I had the Driven Clutch apart - Good thing I did , it was just getting into the screws.
No telling what would have happened if the Helix would have wedged against those Screws at Full Speed.
rugerm77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:16 PM   #7
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

Is this procedure similar to a 2PG in the slightest? I notice differences by looking at it, but would this get the job done for me as well?
Heliarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:05 PM   #8
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Heliarc - if by procedure, You mean disassembly, yeah it's almost identical (I have a thread from last year where i "fixed" my 87 driven by replacing the ramp buttons and stretching the stock spring - yeah, I'd been drinking but it *did* work, LOL) ... I made a clutch tool out of a threaded rod, an old shock shackle/vice/6lb hammer/drill (basically a "u" shaped piece the width of the helix around where the circlip goes) and a couple of nuts - there should be some pics if You search my old threads, otherwise hit me up and I'll try to find 'em on the comp and send them your way - total cost on the tool was like $4 and it made the disassembly/reassembly a breeze.

As to "Clocking" the clutch, no go on pre-89's, the spring can only be replaced *or* as in my case, stretched (which did work, as I said)
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #9
sassycat
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

after doing this i may have clocked my spring wrong as i cant push the clutch apart by hand like i did to dissasemble it..i put the spring in the 3rd hole,turned helix to the right to pass the ramp and put the clip on..seems way tight but i wont no till im up and running again
forgot to subscribe to my own thread
Old 05-12-2013, 12:37 PM   #10
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCityMusic View Post
Heliarc - if by procedure, You mean disassembly, yeah it's almost identical (I have a thread from last year where i "fixed" my 87 driven by replacing the ramp buttons and stretching the stock spring - yeah, I'd been drinking but it *did* work, LOL) ... I made a clutch tool out of a threaded rod, an old shock shackle/vice/6lb hammer/drill (basically a "u" shaped piece the width of the helix around where the circlip goes) and a couple of nuts - there should be some pics if You search my old threads, otherwise hit me up and I'll try to find 'em on the comp and send them your way - total cost on the tool was like $4 and it made the disassembly/reassembly a breeze.

As to "Clocking" the clutch, no go on pre-89's, the spring can only be replaced *or* as in my case, stretched (which did work, as I said)
Yea that's what I meant. Just getting it apart. One of my clutches is screwed up and I can't get any answers on it so I'll have to go in headfirst on it. The thread is "Thinking driven clutch is shot" if you could please take a look.

Thanks Brew. And sorry for hijacking your thread Sassy.
Heliarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO