lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-28-2013, 12:17 PM   #11
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ethanol fuel

I didn't realize that you folks don't have pure gas available! Sorry about that!
I've heard that if you put water into the alcohol gas, that the alcohol will be absorbed into the water and you will be left with pure gas! Don't know if this is true or not, just something I read on a forum. It makes sense, but you'd have to be very careful not to get any water into your fuel system. What I read said to mix water into the fuel, let the fuel and water separate, and then siphon off the fuel from the top of the mixture. Anyone else heard of this?
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-28-2013, 04:04 PM   #12
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

I've heard about it,but do you really have the time to make it worth it?Additives like Star-Tron are almost immediate-acting,and basically do the same thing,without the hassle.For $7 you can treat 56 gallons.We even started using it in our forklifts at work,and they run beter now,even start easier.A few years ago,I parked my plow-truck out back in April.In May I needed it to move some stuff,so I put 5gal. in it,used the truck and parked it.In August I went to use it,and it would barely run.I dropped the tank,assuming it was the pump.The fuel,which wasn't treated was brown.This truck was setup the year before with a brand new tank,so I know it was clean.I put some of the fuel in a pop-bottle,and a few minutes later it settled and separated.It was dark-brown at the bottom,orange in the middle,and normal above that.The lowest area was all water!!I know people in shops that see the same thing now on cars,especially ones that always top off,instead of running down to 1/4-tank or less.The ethanol-content keeps increasing,as does the water content.This is a part no one thinks about either...In Winter,everyone adds Dry-Gas(alcohol)to absorb water,now you are doubling the content of alcohol,and displaced water(absorbed into the alcohol,until it can't absorb anymore).Alcohol must be stored in Plastic,older cars,trucks,mowers,etc..have steel-tanks,which condensate,Making it worse.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:35 PM   #13
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Maybe we should just run our stuff on propane! It never goes bad and has a high octane. Problem is, the price (at least here) has gotten ridiculous for something that normally gets thrown away! I hate these scheming fuel companies!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:39 PM   #14
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

The worst part is that the Gov't pays the oil companies .50/gal. to produce Ethanol,and it lowers fuel-economy!!Then there is E85,which drastically drops mileage.Alcohol burns 2-3 times faster than Gasoline,and at lower temp,so its' efficiency a lot lower.The whole thing is a scam to say they are conserving fossil-fuel,while we use more of it to produce something that causes higher use!!!!
Old 11-29-2013, 05:41 AM   #15
dewzer
Getting Wild

Being a sea foam user most of my life with great results I, like most, get stuck in my ways. Looking over the Star Tron sights information on fuel treatment it has my attention.
I am going to dig deeper into it as I have several connections around the globe in the golf industry.
Like the bio diesel B5 they sell here it caused many issues with fuel systems by acting as a cleaner within fuel storage tanks. IE: Bulk tanks, gas cans and small tanks on equipment.
I see that Star Tron mentions this same concern.
From their web page.
"Important Notes
During the initial treatment, sludge and other deposits that are dispersed may cause plugging or loading of fuel filters. Check fuel filters at the first sign of diminished performance and carry extra filters for convenient replacement. Once your system is clean, your filters will last longer and smoke and soot will be drastically reduced."
When the Bio Diesel was first introduced into our bulk tanks I was not informed of this change by the distributor and not a welcome change without that information being shared.
Every one of my Diesel engine operated pieces of equipment quit running within three days. What a cluster @@@@. Not a good thing to have happen on a golf course.
All were filter related issues.
So bottom line is, The addition of the Star Tron will clean out a tank, any buildup within lines and carb/injection system most being cought by the filter.
So for the guy that is reading this thread and sees the mention of the Star Tron, make sure you go to their sight and read all the information, Good, Bad and Ugly, on their product prior to it's use.
dewzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:06 AM   #16
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

I didn't experience the filter-issues,but my stuff has clean tanks,since I maintain the stuff frequently and things like the mower get stripped every 2 years and gone thru.I have heard of issues with filters,but not many at all.I know at least a dozen users of star-tron,and not one negative result or comment from any of them.It works.Like always,do the homework,read the info,and follow directions.My Brother-in-law bought a bottle,and dumped the whole thing in his cart,then read the bottle.It won't hurt anything,but its' a waste of product and cash.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:00 PM   #17
dbmachine
Gone Wild

I swear by startron by starbrite ws well. It can be purchased in different forms. The farm supply stores like tractor supply have a bottle that treats about 48 gallons for 5$ this is dilluted for using small amounts at a time like 5 or six gallons per dosage. If you go to walmart on the marine aisle in sporting goods there is a 9$ bottle that treats well over 100 gallons in the same size bottle. It has a higher concentrate level for using for large fuel tanks like boats or automobiles. The higher concentrate will last you alot longer since you add very little to a 5 gallon gas jug. One bottle should last you the entire season. I use this stuff in everything. String trimmer, chain saw, ranger, golf cart, zero turn, automobiles, etc. sea foam is good as well which the sea foam actually breaks down the varnish build up and cleans the system. The startron prevents the fuel from going bad and prevents and removes any moisture that accumulates over time of non use. Give it a try and never have to worry about a carb gumming up again.
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:02 PM   #18
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

They sell it in a larger bottle too,Its' a quart or a little larger.Marine suppliers have it.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:19 AM   #19
Wylie_Tunes
Getting Wild

I deal with ethanol issues in boats. I have also experienced the issues personally with my own lawn equipment. For the past couple of years, I have been using Sta-Bil ethanol marine formula when I winterize boats. I also add some to my gas cans for the lawn equipment, every time i fill it up. I worry less about avoiding it, and focus more on preventative maintenance. But if you have easy access to ethanol-free gas and can stomach the price, go for it, especially with the older fuel systems.
Wylie_Tunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:58 AM   #20
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Ethanol 87 is 3.09 here and non ethanol 87 is 3.29.. The premium 91 non ethanol is at the 4$ mark. Only station within 50 miles of me with this fuel so i stock up when i can or make a trip in that direction.
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO