lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-04-2014, 04:32 PM   #1
vick68
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default cart real slow up hill

Pds cart will do 20mph on flat land hits a hill it drops to 9 is this normal? No excessive weight 2 normal 180 people. It's also about 3 mph faster in reverse idk what controller I have its a purple plum quick motor. I checked the Batts with load test there fine now idk whats up
vick68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-04-2014, 06:58 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: cart real slow up hill

Clip your test leads on to each battery one-by-one and repeat testing, noting lowest voltage of each. A car battery tester will only reveal a totally shorted golf cart battery, not a kinda-weak one. A car battery tester is no match for a golf cart battery, as it only draws about 1/6th the energy a stock controller draws when under full load.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 09:51 PM   #3
remac
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

depends on the hill, how steep is it? how long is it?
does cart slow down right away or partway up or near top?
remac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:37 PM   #4
vick68
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

6.2 is what the batts are testing. It drops as soon as there is any incline. If you see my other post, I thought it was going alot faster in reverse but its not that big of a difference. Its not a steep hill at all that I tested other day. Prior to other day I did try on a steep hill. It cuts back to 9 mph on it also just like the not steep hill. It will pull anything at 9 mph with any weight up hill.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:48 PM   #5
vick68
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Its 6.26 not under load on every batt except 1 battery and its 6.27, I don't know if that right but thats after riding a 20 mins or so after a full charge.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:56 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

We need to find out what controller is being used and what the tire height is.

A stock PDS controller limits the motor's RPM to about 4400 RPM in "Freedom" mode, which equates to 18 MPH on stock height tires (18" tall), yet the cart does 20 MPH on level ground.

That could mean the tire height is about 19", which is an 8% loss in available torque, which in turn will slow the cart more on hills, but probably not as much as you are experiencing.

On the other hand, a stock PDS controller limits motor RPM to about 3400 RPM in the Mild Hill and Steep Hill modes and about 2900 in the All Terrain mode, so far a taller tire would be needed to reach 20 MPH on level ground, which would lose even more of the available torque and might account for the large amount of speed loss on hills.

And then there are also the possibilities of the battery not being able to provide the Amps the motor needs, or the Amp delivery system not passing all the Amps the battery pack can provide, as well as several other potential performance issues.

------------
Your cart, in and of itself, is a battery load tester.
You just have to monitor the pack voltage while driving the cart, and at other specific times for Go/No-Go battery testing.

Measure the voltage about 12 hours after the charger shuts off automatically.
The pack should be 38.2V (A bit higher for some brands other than Trojan)
Each battery should be 6.37V and all six should be within 0.1V of the others.

Drive cart for several miles, wait about half an hour after stopping and measure the voltages again. The voyage will be less and the amount of the decrease will depend on the battery pack's AH capacity, distance traveled and efficiency of the cart, but all six batteries ought to still be within about 0.1V of the others.

While climbing the hills the pack voltage should stay above about 31.5V.

-----------
Are any of the cables or connections getting hot?
Does the motor get too hot to touch?

Electric motors convert Amps into torque or heat, so there is a temperature rise when they are loaded down to a RPM lower than the RPM dictated by the voltage applied (IE: climbing a hill). Therefore the motor ought to warm up considerably, or it isn't getting the Amps it needs to do the job.

--------
In general terms, a cart with a Sepex motor does not slow as much on the same incline as a cart with a Series motor, so slowing from 20 MPH to 9 MPH most likely means something is amiss in the drive system.

However, with some more information about the cart and some troubleshoot, we should be able to figure out what is wrong.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 01:47 AM   #7
vick68
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I posted pictures in my other post but I can't get them to load up again for this one. Its the post about it being faster in reverse if you want to look at the pics. I'm going to look tomorrow and see if I can tell what controller it is and also measure the cables to see if what gauge they are. The solenoids look newer then everything else, so I don't know what the PO replaced or didn't. Also it has 19 or 20 inch tires on it now. It had the drop off on hills before putting new tires on.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:23 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by vick68 View Post
I posted pictures in my other post but I can't get them to load up again for this one. Its the post about it being faster in reverse if you want to look at the pics. I'm going to look tomorrow and see if I can tell what controller it is and also measure the cables to see if what gauge they are. The solenoids look newer then everything else, so I don't know what the PO replaced or didn't. Also it has 19 or 20 inch tires on it now. It had the drop off on hills before putting new tires on.
In your first post in this thread, you described the cart as a PDS. It is not a PDS cart, it is a series cart with a reversing contactor.
You also have a stock series controller (Curtis 1206).

If the series cart (series wound motor) does 20 on level ground on 19" or 20" tires with a 36V battery pack, you probably have a high speed motor installed and high speed series motor tend to sacrifice torque (hill climbing ability) for RPM (speed) and the 19" or 20" reduce available torque by 8% and 13% respectively.

Even with taking those fact into consideration, dropping from 20MPH to 9MPH on mild hills does seem to be abnormal.

Monitor the pack voltage while climbing a hill that slows the cart to 9MPH.
What is the voltage it dropped to?

Monitor the voltage between the M- and B+ terminals on the controller while going up same hill.
What voltage did it drop to? (Should drop to same as pack voltage did)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1415390748198.jpg (137.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 1415390794122.jpg (203.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-08-2014, 08:42 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I could see this cart dropping 50% in speed with oversized tires uphill. Use a 400 spm controller (460 peak amps), a HD solenoid, and a good set of 4g cables through out the cart for more torque
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:24 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I could see this cart dropping 50% in speed with oversized tires uphill..............
Wow, that's more falloff than I suspected with 20" tires, but I was just guessing while you've been there and done that.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO