lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-04-2014, 07:09 PM   #1
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default why all the connections at the batteries?

The title kinda says it all:

Most carts, including my new (factory wired) RXV, seem to have multiple wires connected at the ends of the pack. Why don't they connect the charging port and other stuff at the other end of the main cables to reduce clutter and lessen the chances for errors when working on the batteries?

When I rewired my old Club Car, I installed an old fuse block that was meant to take something like a 60-amp fuse. No fuse, just extra-long studs where the wires were to connect. This gave me room for multiple Plus and Minus wires to the voltage converter, charging port, common for the reversing contactor, etc, etc. Must have ended up with a half-dozen wires on each post, and the battery wiring was nice and clean.
jdunmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-04-2014, 09:45 PM   #2
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: why all the connections at the batteries?

By placing more than one lead on a terminal they can fuse each leg independently with simple inline fuses. It's probably cheaper.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:32 PM   #3
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
It's probably cheaper.
You have almost certainly hit the nail squarely on the head. :-)
Old 12-05-2014, 07:44 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Some "bean-counter" who has never heard of a "golf cart" said so! ("Starbucks assistant, i said i wanted a vomit latte, Not a dog pee latte!!!")...that ought to pizz someone off...
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:07 PM   #5
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

To me, the wiring looks plain unprofessional, cost savings or not. In the end, there's probably no cost savings, as mistakes are bound to be made by techs working on the cart, and if it's near-new and the screwup is at the dealer, you know darn well they're going to stick the factory with a warranty claim.

When my RXV needs batteries, it's getting 6, 8-volt jobs and might well get a minor re-wire while I'm at it. Also, I have to figure out exactly how I'm going to prevent that huge spark when the last connection is made. I'm thinking of rigging up a pair of clip leads permanently connected to a resistor.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:28 PM   #6
cgtech

Yamaha

I agree, but, you have never went through the hassle to get anything paid by the OEMs warranty process. It is total BS, they deny everything possible. Its really ridiculous to try and get paid for warranty work sometimes. Plus, they pay pennies-on-the-dollar for a labor rate. Its always been the same, i worked for Ford during the firestone tire fiasco. Let me tell you, the techs got screwed big time on that one! (im sure the dealers did too)
Old 12-05-2014, 08:32 PM   #7
cgtech

Yamaha

To avoid the "big spark", just get a pre-charge resistor like used on the solenoid. Connect the resistor before and as you connect the last wire to the pack. It works great. I do it every time. It will also "tell you" about a dead short or bad controller, as the resistor will get too hot to hold.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:47 PM   #8
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

CGT,
Yes, I know what to do, and will make such a lashup before working on the batteries.

As the cart was brand-new only a year ago, I've not had a real reason to work on it, other than my curiosity. I wanted to know how much current is drawn when the switch is 'on', in any position. Also, I wanted to know if disconnecting the voltage converter would bring the draw down to Zero. As you know, the older carts draw NO current when the pedal is up, no matter the position of the F/R switch. That is not the case with the RXV.

That is one more reason to turn the switch to 'Off' when exiting the cart, besides the safety aspect. I had always tried to discipline myself to turn the cart to 'Off' in the past, but I'm even more careful now. I worry if someone else drives the cart if I'm not around to check it later, I've gone so far as to stick a piece of tape near the switch with "Leave Switch Off" written on it. Need to make a permanent label of some sort.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:07 AM   #9
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Turn key to "off" for safety. YES

Current draw while in "F/R/N" is controller current-- (negligible)
and solenoid current (Negligible)

Yes there is current draw -- just not enough to worry about for short trips out of cart.
after a few minutes of inactivity, cart drops power to solenoid and goes into power saver mode reducing power use (ever had to hit gas twice to "wake" cart up?)

Range/run time will not be noticeably affected by leaving cart "on" for a few minutes to T off or put out.. a few minutes of "on" time only uses a second or two of "drive time" power.

as far as battery connections !!! AMEN BRO.!!
Lazy production.
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 03:24 PM   #10
cgtech

Yamaha

Those assy line jerks cant even install a set of cables that dont cover the battery caps, HACKS! Cart draws about 1.5a with key on, at rest. Cart goes to sleep in a half hour, if left with key on.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO