lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-06-2014, 04:09 PM   #11
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Default Re: why all the connections at the batteries?

1.5 amps--- nothing compared to drive time draw...
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-06-2014, 07:43 PM   #12
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Hmmm... it's been over a year, but I thought I measured less than 1/2 amp at 'idle'. At that time, I was unaware that the cart would go to sleep after sitting, but I've seen that since. Will have to connect my DVM and let it go to sleep to see what the current draw is when she's napping.

I'm well aware that even a 1-amp draw for a few minutes won't make any difference in drive time/range. My bigger concern is that it gets forgotten, and even 1/2 amp is going to kill the pack in a couple or 3 days. I had to leave my cart in a situation where someone else was going to move it, maybe more than once, and I wasn't going to be around for a couple of weeks or more. That's why I put the label next to the key switch.

What's this "T-off or Putt-out" of which you speak? I use my cart around the farm and at the antique engine/tractor shows.
jdunmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 11:30 AM   #13
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

What's this "T-off or Putt-out" of which you speak? I use my cart around the farm and at the antique engine/tractor shows.

HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 11:42 AM   #14
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Interesting thread here. I like the idea of putting a resistor ( somewhere) to reduce the spark when connecting wires. However i am not following , exactly where you (CG) put this resistor and How do you attach it?

Please elaborate a little, or dra a picture or something for us rookies?
smokey tennis shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 12:05 PM   #15
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Get a pre-charge resistor, like used on the relay. When connecting the last connection on the last battery cable, put one end of the resistor on the battery terminal, the other end of the resistor on the battery cable end. After about 5 seconds, transfer the cable end onto the battery terminal. If during the 5 seconds, the resistor gets super hot, dont continue, you have a major short or a bad controller. The resistor will not be attached to anything when the connection is made between the cable & battery. The resistor serves as a temporary link to fill the capacitors in the controller and dc/dc converter at a slower rate without a big spark.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 04:50 PM   #16
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

ok, thanks for the explanation. So, you hold this resistor in your fingers? Bets you have burnt your fingers a few times!

Do you only do this to the battery wires? Not any of the smaller accessory or charge recept wires?
Old 12-07-2014, 06:38 PM   #17
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

STS,
You do this to ONLY the last connection you make on the battery pack. Here's the deal:

There is a large capacitor in the controller that acts almost like a dead short when it's discharged, which it will be within a short time of the pack being disconnected. When you first connect that last wire, the capacitor will take a charge, causing a huge "CRACK!" and a healthy spark. Although it's probably harmless, it's a bit un-nerving. Using the resistor, the capacitor is allowed to charge slowly over a few second's time; there will be little to no spark when connecting either the resistor or that last wire. I suppose that large spark could be dangerous if the batteries had just come off charge and there was hydrogen gas present. That's somewhat unlikely, as it's not possible to charge the pack if it's disconnected.

You should not burn your fingers because the current through the resistor isn't enough to cause heating. UNLESS the controller is shorted out.
jdunmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:37 PM   #18
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

JD thanks for your time. And thanks for the explanation

You guys are great here
Old 12-08-2014, 01:20 AM   #19
cgtech

Yamaha

The only times that i have "dropped the resistor" saved me from making a nasty "welding arc" type of situation. My fingers are relatively fire-proof now days anyway (not from controller shorts, but from soldering stuff).
Old 12-08-2014, 11:03 AM   #20
cgtech

Yamaha

I checked the amp draw, and i must correct my self. It IS .5 amp at rest, key on. It draws 1.5 amp when parking brake is disengaged but cart not moving.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO