lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-03-2015, 02:02 PM   #1
ARS1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 1990 Marathon 36V-48V

I have a 90 Marathon solid state cart that needs to go faster... I talked to the guy at the shop and he didn't seem to know too much about the older carts IMO. He said if I put a higher AMP 36V controller in it I'd get the speed I'm looking for... From what I've read this isn't the case. I am going to see if the curtis controller will do 48V which I doubt and will report back but what is the best way to go about this? I have 2 more 6V batteries I can use and I can make my own cables. I built boats for 9 years doing electrical but I don't know much about the carts "yet". I know I will need a new charger or use 2 seperate ones which isn't a big deal for a while I'll just install a disconnect switch on the 2 for the time being unless I can come across a 48V. I have a couple 48V carts at the shop might just have to share chargers for a bit.

Any help will be appreciated and I will respond to this thread. Not a troller with the typical 48V conversion dreams....
ARS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-03-2015, 02:20 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1990 Marathon 36V-48V

Welcom to bgw.
Check your controller. Unless it specifically says for 36 to 48 V you are about to let the magic smoke out of it and reduce its value to nothing. The cart does need a larger speed control for any upgrades. A larger speed control will not increase the speed for this particular series drive cart. An increase in voltage from 36 to 48 will induce the motor to produce 33% higher RPMs which will equal speed.
Be aware that club car 48 V charger's will not work with any other cart because the chargers brain is on board the golf cart.

I hope this helps
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:56 PM   #3
fireboat
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Are you replacing the batteries with 8v or adding two more 6v? I added two more to my Marathon so I had eight 6v batteries. When I did that I did not have to install a disconnect to use two chargers. I used the original 36v charger and a 12v charger. I just moved the charger cables so the 36v "saw" just the six batteries and the 12 volt charger "saw" just two batteries.
It worked fine though it was always a bit of pain. I then bought a DPI 48 volt charger which is great charger.
fireboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 02:43 PM   #4
ARS1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

OK so the controller says 24-36V on it so that's out and it also says re-manufactured so it isn't the factory one. I was planning on just adding 2 more 6v for now since I have some newer ones in the shop in a 3 wheeler that died. Thanks for the heads up one the charger as I would be scratching my head when it didn't work... The current FNR switch is temperamental right now and needs to be replaced anyway so I'll get a heavy duty one so I can use it after the swap as well as during the build if I need to.

Getting ready to pull the trigger on some parts so if someone could point me in the right direction as to where the best place to get the FNR, controller, speed controller, solenoid etc... I would appreciate it. Then when it all comes in I will begin the tear down. The kids love riding on it so I'm not going to start it just to have it sit for a while in process.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:13 AM   #5
fireboat
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Getting ready to pull the trigger on some parts so if someone could point me in the right direction as to where the best place to get the FNR, controller, speed controller, solenoid etc... I would appreciate it. Then when it all comes in I will begin the tear down. The kids love riding on it so I'm not going to start it just to have it sit for a while in process.[/QUOTE]

You'll see this repeatedly on this forum but it's true, contact Scottyb at Carts Unlimited in the post above. Good prices and great service for the electrical items you are looking for.
fireboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:32 AM   #6
ARS1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireboat View Post
Getting ready to pull the trigger on some parts so if someone could point me in the right direction as to where the best place to get the FNR, controller, speed controller, solenoid etc... I would appreciate it. Then when it all comes in I will begin the tear down. The kids love riding on it so I'm not going to start it just to have it sit for a while in process.

You'll see this repeatedly on this forum but it's true, contact Scottyb at Carts Unlimited in the post above. Good prices and great service for the electrical items you are looking for.[/QUOTE]

Thanks I will have to give them a call and get what I need all at once.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO