lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-05-2015, 03:26 PM   #281
kpauley
Gone Wild

Default Re: Point me in the right direction for troubleshooting

Johnnie, you've been asking for my real tire size for a while and I've been neglecting getting that to you. Will do!
kpauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-15-2015, 01:58 PM   #282
kpauley
Gone Wild

My rear tires are stamped 18". Measuring 4 revolutions I get 229". That makes for a tire height of 18.22" if my internet math is correct :-)
Old 02-15-2015, 02:40 PM   #283
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Your math is correct.

That gives you an ever so slight torque loss (~1%) over a true 18" tire, but you'll never feel it.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 01:25 PM   #284
kpauley
Gone Wild

Well, we'll bring some closure to this thread shortly as I'm wrapping up my efforts and will summarize things when I do. In the end it seems that from both D&D and Alltrax perspectives things are operating as they should be and there are no issues. Since I've gone as far as I have gone I'm going to add one more battery to go to 42V, which will lead me to getting a new charger. With that, every electrical component will have essentially been swapped out, so there's not much more I can do than accept what I have :-) With the additional battery though I should get some seat of the pants enjoyment out of this I think! Will probably do some final tests with that as well just to bring closure to this thread. Thanks everyone for following along with the saga!
Old 02-20-2015, 09:02 PM   #285
kpauley
Gone Wild

OK, have my new charger and I've installed the 7th battery, just waiting for the additional cable and capacitor change and I can get this hooked up.

I mounted the battery under the drivers seat, seemed like a good place to go. The Trojan T-145's are tall of course, but it seems to still fit. I just drilled one hole towards the back of the metal plate there and used an existing hole on the other side to put in a couple J-hook battery tie downs. Used some plumbers strapping around the battery carrying hooks to tie into, seems like that should be sufficient I'm hoping!

With the height of the battery one of the terminals is sticking up just above the body mount area where the seat hand rail comes under the seat (see picture). I'm going to double check it tomorrow to see what kind of contact I'm making there, if any. I think I can notch the black handrail plastic though to make sure it clears completely because I don't think I want my body weight stressing out the terminal. Aside from that it seems to fit well.

I think the remaining parts show up tomorrow so hopefully I can report back and close this monster thread!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (147.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (80.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-01-2015, 09:49 PM   #286
Revolution
Voltaholic

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpauley View Post
Well, we'll bring some closure to this thread shortly as I'm wrapping up my efforts and will summarize things when I do. In the end it seems that from both D&D and Alltrax perspectives things are operating as they should be and there are no issues. Since I've gone as far as I have gone I'm going to add one more battery to go to 42V, which will lead me to getting a new charger. With that, every electrical component will have essentially been swapped out, so there's not much more I can do than accept what I have :-) With the additional battery though I should get some seat of the pants enjoyment out of this I think! Will probably do some final tests with that as well just to bring closure to this thread. Thanks everyone for following along with the saga!
I wish I had had my BBB running when you started this thread. As you have figured out the motor you have is a pure torque motor, not much for speed. Since I have two of the same motors in my BBB I can tell you they do respond well to more voltage. My BBB was running 48 volts on these motors from the factory, I was disappointed even at 48 volts.

I went out on a limb and ran these 36volt motors at 72 volts and WOW I am getting the speed and torque I wanted from the start. I hope 42 volts gets you to where you need, but 48 volts was lacking for me, and 72 is better than expected!

To anyone doubting my experience see post #275.
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:51 PM   #287
kpauley
Gone Wild

Alrighty, lets get this thread closed for good!

First, to Revolution, I think you're right, this motor really wants more juice. 42V is good, I'm betting 48V is pretty awesome.

I still don't know what was the original issue of course, but I feel that at this point things are working really good. My wife is happy, my nephew drove it and he totally noticed the difference, I can feel the difference, all is good!

We mostly drive it in gravel, loose dirt and it does pretty easily break the tires loose; not that I was going for that, but it wasn't doing that before! Today I did my test hill run to grab some final data though. It won't be completely comparable because of the voltage change but I also did the GPS tracking so I could see speed up the hill too.

Now, going up this hill it is a solid asphalt surface. When I launched it at the beginning of the run at the base of the hill, the tires could grab a lot more than they do in the gravel. I don't think the front wheels came off the ground but it sure felt close!

The CSV file from the controller is attached. I also have screen shots from the GPS run. The program I used for the GPS run I had one from a previous run, just I hung a left turn at the end and went down hill. So it was not exactly the same, but the first part of the run was the same (was referenced in this post). I put the elevation / speed charts side by side in the graphic, the scale for the speed is off a little because I had a higher speed due to the downhill on the first run. But if you look at just the uphill portions it seems like I hit a little higher speed quicker and sustain it a little better (and it feels that way too).

Anyway, I think I'm going to be gathering up some parts to sell on craigslist to see if I can recoup a little bit, but not terribly worried about that. Just happy to not obsess about this now :-)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO