lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-08-2007, 12:12 PM   #1
502stang
Not Yet Wild

Default NEW NEWBY needs help 2004 PDS EZGO

Hello everyone!! I am the new guy here. I just bought a 2004 EZGO PDS. I am new to golf carts and this is my very first one. This cart is one of those green ones that are all over ebay right now. It did come with the back seat and was in better shape than any other used ones the guy had at the cart shop. I can't leave anything stock so I just ordered 23/10.50/12 A/T tires, a Jakes spindle lift kit and a diamond plate kit that has several pieces in it. I ordered all of this not really knowing much of anything about golf carts just looking at a few websites and blogs. Now I have it over at my cousin’s body shop and he is painting it black metallic. I was talking to my cousin and he asked me a question. Do you think that size tire will fit on with that lift kit??? I had just ordered and didn't really know. I can't stand any rubbing so if anyone has used this combination please let me know. The lift kit and tires are due in next Monday so I could change something if need be.

Now to my other question!! I don't want to make the last (potential) Mistake again. I want to HOT ROD my cart and have been reading blogs and I think I am hearing that PDS wasn't the way to go!!! Well....I have a PDS and I need to make the best of a bad situation.

I have narrowed it down to an ALLTRAX 500 regen controller and a D&D motor. I can't decide which motor to go with. I am going to put 2 more 6 volt batteries in the back. I am going to replace all of my wiring with 2 gauge. Upgrade to an HD 48V solenoid. Get a good 48V charger.

Now what motor?? What can I expect?? D&D's website makes me think the ES-49-48 would be best. The guy at their service desk says an ES-76-51. It looks like another one that is a 500-something is somewhere in-between. I am a little lost here.

I am sure that some of you guys have been there and done that so help me out!!! I want enough torque to go up and down hills with 4 people. But I want enough speed to fly by myself.

Thanks again and hello to everyone!!
502stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-08-2007, 12:17 PM   #2
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

Default Re: NEW NEWBY needs help 2004 PDS EZGO

I think highly of D&D motors and I think you will be highly satisfied with the one they tell you you'll need. I would recommend a 700 amp controller, though. 500 is probably more than enough, but 700 will give you a little more torque and be less prone to thermal shutdown.
NO NO NO E-Z-GO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 12:24 PM   #3
roady89
nimda
Club Car

If you bought a Jakes 6" spindle I think you will be fine with those tires. You "might" have some tire rub in extreme conditions.

They will more than likely tell you to go with the controller matched to their motor. If you plan on upgrading even more I would go with the biggest you can afford. Have you called EMP motors by chance?
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 12:36 PM   #4
phasetim
Just me. .

Club Car

Never seen a problem with D & D motors, I prefer G.E. though...

EMP seems capable of doing more with whatever motor situation you have than anyone else...
phasetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 12:38 PM   #5
502stang
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the quick replies guys!!

I didn't even know they made a 700 AMP controller!!

I for got to mention that I also got the heavy duty leaf springs so I don't know if they have any more arch to them but thanks for the info. It is good to know that I can get my cart lifted and rolling on Monday.

What can you do with 48 Volts on a PDS cart? What are realistic performance goals?

I have not talked to EMP. I thought they rebuilt motors. Do you think they might have something that would work for me?

I am checking out some of the sponsors links and will be doing business with some of them I am sure.
Thanks!!
Old 12-08-2007, 02:46 PM   #6
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

EMP can rebuild a motor, but they usually rebuild them and soup them up... a LOT.

The highest amp controller I know of is 1200. That's overkill though... there is no way you could realistically use that in a golf cart.

However, if you are an overkill kind of guy, here is the link:

(Click the pic)

You mentioned that you have HD leaf springs. Do you have them for the front also? If you are planning on taking the cart to the speeds it seems lik you are, HD leaf springs may not be a bad idea all the way around the cart.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:23 PM   #7
502stang
Not Yet Wild

Thanks EZGO! I don't know if I can use that. 1200 seems a little high. Is that for a PDS?????

You have got me thinking now.

Really, where do you find front HD springs? I also was wondering about coil over shocks. Do they make those that would stiffen your suspension?

How much can you get out of a PDS with 23" tires? What should I shoot for??
Old 12-08-2007, 03:36 PM   #8
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

Check with one of our site sponsors on the HD leaf springs. They are listed in my signature. Call them! They don't list many of their items online. Cart Parts Plus: 1.888.861.2640. East Coast Custom Carts Inc.: 1.954.701.9133

You will have to check with some of the electric guys on here about the PDS system and its compatibility. I'm a gasser guy myself.

I got upwards of 30 miles per hour out of a 1993 Yamaha G8 with a 48V conversion, DCX500 controller, and D&D ES 65 51 motor. It was actually a speed motor, but it would FLY (and I do mean FLY) up to speed. I had to completely rewire the cart (I went "backwards" per se. I went from a non-regen cart to a regen cart) for the regen system as well as going to 48V from 36. I needed a pot box, controller, motor, 2 new batteries, solenoid, and a few other little things that aren't all that important. The setup cost either a little under or a little over $1,000 and it had 22" tires. You could easily achieve 35mph if you are willing to spend more and go really wild with it. This is, after all, Buggies Gone Wild.

If you wanted to go with a 50/50 speed/torque motor with a 700 amp controller and 48V, as well as 8:1 rear end gears, you could get more speed than you'd care for out of it. The old Yamaha had a 12.44:1 rear end. You have 11.4:1. You are getting more output of the axle. On a 12.44:1 gear, the input shaft (motor input) must turn 12:44 times to get the axle to turn once. On the 11.4:1 setup, your motor only needs to turn 11.4 times to get one turn out of the axle. I'm not very good with math and numbers, but I think you gain one axle revolution every 11.92 motor revolutions. That could be wrong, but I think I did it right. I like wrenches, not calculators.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:46 PM   #9
502stang
Not Yet Wild

Thanks again, NO NO NO!!!!

I will get with one of the sponsors Monday! Is it hard change the front springs after you put the lift kit on? I have the spindle lift so I will not be into the front springs anyway. I just want to let them get my lift and wheels on Monday and see how it’s going to look with its new paint job and new stance.

Do you remember the HP and RPM or your D&D motor?

Do you recommend 2 Gauge or 4 Gauge wires?

Thanks!!!
Old 12-08-2007, 04:04 PM   #10
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

The front leaf springs are relatively easy to change. Since it's a 2004, nothing should be seized.

I think the D&D motor was around 10.X peak horsepower. I do not know what RPM it was rated to turn, though.

The wire thing goes back to the overkill statement. 4 gauge is really the largest that is practical. 2 gauge is bigger but doesn't really offer anything over 4. Keep in mind, current travels on the outside of the wire, so you need fine welding cable to provide the most possible surface area for current to flow over. The ES 65 51 is a Club Car/old Yamaha motor. Newer Yamaha differentials are the same as E-Z-GO's, so you could get a Yamaha motor if you wanted to. However, they have equivalents for all the brands, so it's not really necessary.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO