lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-21-2011, 12:13 AM   #1
Recoil
Not Yet Wild

Default slowing a G2 down

So my project is going well but i need it to be in the range of 5mph. I have all ready turned the gov down as much as possible and yet to keep it under speed i have to keep letting off the gas and cost it, all most like there is no speed ajust for the gas its ether on and speeds up or off

any way is there anything else that can be done to slow it down with out having to let off the gas? maybe some way of locking the disc's on the trany from gearing up or something
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-21-2011, 05:38 AM   #2
chuddly
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: slowing a G2 down

adjust the butterfly. It seems like everyone adjust for top speed then wants to know why it wont cruise at a slow speed. You will loose just a bit off the top end but you will gain the ability to go at a slow speed
chuddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:21 AM   #3
Recoil
Not Yet Wild

what/where is this butterfly?
Old 04-21-2011, 01:11 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Its the top of the carb, where it moves with the pedal and you set the idle speed. The linkage gets messed up from either the carb sitting sideways because it moves in the rubber or someone screwing it up. You mess with the governor to adjust speed not the carb.

Going that slow I never tried that. Think I would get the throttle linkage adjusted properly so it starts and idles on the pedal before it goes anywhere. The first inch of travel at top of pedal it should start and idle real slow, just faster than the starter turns and the throttle on top of carb should not move. Pedal beyond that the throttle opens and cart should drive away.

Then what I'd try is backing off the throttle cable so it didn't take off until the pedal was half way down, or where ever it works like you want with full pedal. But I don't know if the governor will work that far down. Throttle cable adjusts under the floor you might adjust it at the governor arm also somehow.

Cutting the throttle in the linkage might work like Chuddly says, but it might not because the trans gear speed determines when the throttle pulls back and if at say 1/4 throttle it will just take longer to reach governed speed. You can try it.

You could put shorter tires on the back to slow it down more. The governor works at +/- 12mph factory, but don't know what range of adjustment it goes slower. It might not work at all that slow with standard 18 tires if it is not fast enough to pull the flyweights out.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:15 PM   #5
Recoil
Not Yet Wild

so it is supposed to idle with the pedal before moving? mine just starts and moves right away even with the pedal at the lowest spot that will start it

the throttle it self on the carb i know dosent even move when i drive it with the gov turned down, ive watched it while reving it up. ill try getting to the pedal it self and check out the adjustments i have there next i guess

where i am taking it they want the max speed to be 5mph but ive herd of people going a little faster with out being bothered i just wanted to get it at least some what close lol
Old 04-21-2011, 05:16 PM   #6
victorjohn
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

How about loosening a bit the throttle cable to allow some slack? Consider going down to a 16" diameter rear wheel.
victorjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:55 PM   #7
BigCountry79
Gone Wild

Yamaha

put a 2x4 block behind the pedal! haha!!
BigCountry79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:58 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
so it is supposed to idle with the pedal before moving? mine just starts and moves right away even with the pedal at the lowest spot that will start it
No it should idle real slow, the cart might creep on pavement from belt drag is all.
Quote:
the throttle it self on the carb i know dosent even move when i drive it with the gov turned down, ive watched it while reving it up. ill try getting to the pedal it self and check out the adjustments i have there next i guess
It is open that is not good. It should be against the idle screw right on top so you can adjust it.
Quote:
where i am taking it they want the max speed to be 5mph but ive herd of people going a little faster with out being bothered i just wanted to get it at least some what close lol
If it works right, you can go any speed like a car. I thought you wanted it to go 5mph on the floor?

The proper way to set it up is set the pedal switch but usually you don't have to it never moves. You can jack the back tires off the ground for this or put it against a tree/etc. Adjust the throttle cable on pedal so switch clicks and pedal moves more then the carb starts to open. About an inch at top of pedal works well where engine runs but carb is closed. Set the carb idle and mixture if needed so it idles real slow just more than starter speed. It is normal for 2 stroke to miss at idle, about 1.25 turns out on mix is normal place to start. You push more the cart drives away you let off and it idles and cart rolls to stop. Let all the way off it stops running. You should still have no problem getting WOT throttle this way until the governor slows you down.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:55 PM   #9
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Just a suggestion. Adjust the accelerator cables like stock. I would start with the accelerator cable#1 (from the pedal to the govenor) with alittle "slack" at the pedal. accelerator cable #2 (from the govenor to the throttle shaft on the carb) also alittle "slack" , you don't want the throttle shaft to move/open till the engine is turning over and the ignition is "firing" or you'll get "backfireing". Now the easy part, take out the accelerator pedal bolt, pry off the acclelerator pedal and reinstall so you only have enough pedal movement to get the speed you want. Same principal as BigCountry's, but with a "stock look" and can easily be changed if needed. Good luck
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:25 PM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Why did I put 2 stroke on there if this is a G2? Anyway its the same deal. The manual does not say to make it idle with the 4 strokes but I do, because that is the only way to find the best idle mixture setting and if someone drives it around on the starter they kill the battery and starter. You can do this in neutral with the 4 stroke.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha