lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-25-2014, 09:47 PM   #1
aviator8
Not Yet Wild

Default G2A 89 I believe wont start, what does this diagnsotic result mean?

I have a G2A that was given to me. To the best I can tell it is a 89 model, and has had several modifications over the years before i got it, some to the electrical (cut wires, new fuses, etc) This was running fine after i got a new carb, but then just started going, then not going, back and forth after about 2 months use. motor was engaging and firing but off and on, as if it was starving for gas. I got tired of messing with it so it has been parked a year. This week i decided I would fix it........

Dead battery, replaced and verified good voltage

I push the pedal and hear the solenoid click but nothing happens

I tested across the solenoid and was getting 2 volts on the output side when the gas pedal was pressed so i bought a new one

I put in the new solenoid and got the same result.

I get a full 12V on the input side with pedal not engaged, while holding in the pedal i checked the output side and have 2 Volts, which was exactly what i saw in the last solenoid. Now for grins while still holding in the gas I checked the voltage on input and output and have 2V on both sides! What does this mean? Do I have a short? I am not sure where to go to next, I already threw good money away on this solenoid I think, and don't want to just start replacing things until I isolate the real issue.

I have also tried following:
Looking at the wring Diagrams to verify connections and grounds, and it is not easy with all the wires in chases, replacements with non original colors, taped and zipped together end to end, etc.

I removed and cleaned battery terminals, frame ground contact, positive and negative terminal on the starter generator

Checked all fuses

I even tried the screwdriver across the solenoid trick before buying a new one with no change in results. I believe that this did not work because I was not getting 12V at the input side with gas pedal pressed, was only 2V.
aviator8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:45 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: G2A 89 I believe wont start, what does this diagnsotic result mean?

The terminal/cable where it connects to the battery is broken internally. Buy 2 universal battery cable ends and replace the cable ends and it should work again. I have had to do this several times.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:22 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Grounds are all wired on yamaha. Wiring is a weak spot at this age, but cheaper to fix than other issues. Hot 12v goes to the key then the pedal switch then to the solenoid/coil/ignitor. The cradle is grounded with the gen but the cart frame is not, be careful with accessories wire them to the battery. Once I had to file the inside of my batt clamps and file the batt posts to get it to work. I used a wire cleaner, they looked great and clean but would not work.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 02:05 PM   #4
aviator8
Not Yet Wild

found the issue. I load tested the battery and even though fully charged it could not turn the starter. brand new battery and it turns over. On to he next problem, wont fire. I believe i have either bad gas or a clogged carb.
aviator8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:55 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Try starter fluid and a new plug. If it fires then pull the fuel line and turn it over it should spurt fuel out. If so then carb issue most likely or leaking intake maybe airbox though usually they will just run poorly with leaks. Sometimes they wont start usually they foul the plug....yes they will foul them with a lean mix. Make sure you get a ngk bp2rs I think it is, its the plug for newer yamaha don't use the G2/9 spec plug its a bp4 or something. You can get a cheap spark tester to see how that is working.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha