lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-27-2018, 02:32 PM   #1
sissonmachine
Not Yet Wild

Default G1 sparks in forward not reverse

I have a 1982 g1 that will start and drive with the key in the forward position, but when i try to start in reverse the engine turns over but it has no spark. I have replaced the ignition switch and the cdi was replaced just before i bought it. Any ideas on what could be causing this would be greatly appreciated.
sissonmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-27-2018, 06:25 PM   #2
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G1 sparks in forward not reverse

a link to the service manual in PDF. I'm not sure if the coils behind the flywheel would cause this or not.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/garag...ir-manual.html
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 07:12 PM   #3
Lochlin
Gone Wild

By the life of me, if you are sure that the cdi is good and as it's sparking in forward I cant see how it can be anything other than the magneto or a wiring issue. I would start by inspecting the reverse circuit wiring as diagrammed by the manual that is linked above.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:48 AM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlin View Post
By the life of me, if you are sure that the cdi is good and as it's sparking in forward I cant see how it can be anything other than the magneto or a wiring issue. I would start by inspecting the reverse circuit wiring as diagrammed by the manual that is linked above.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:18 PM   #5
sissonmachine
Not Yet Wild

Mike thank you for the link to the pdf it was extremely helpful. I did all the ohms tests listed in it and everything tested good. Checked continuity on wires from key switch, cdi, and pick up coil, all good. Switched red and white with green and white on cdi and it would run in reverse but not forward. I figured it had to be the cdi and ordered a new one, problem solved. Crank seals next i noticed the clutch side is leaking pretty bad.
sissonmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:13 AM   #6
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

on these old machines make sure the cable ends for the battery to the solenoids and solenoids to the starter generator are clean. the stock ends are steel and can corrode. i replaced my cables and ends which seem to help with starting issues.
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha