lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-12-2020, 05:36 PM   #1
Beachrider
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Temp Sensor melting

My 2011 ezgo 48v txt was cutting out on me last night with a beep and dead pedal. Waited a few minutes and no problem. It did this several times until I got home. The front batteries were low on water since I haven't used it in 2 weeks. I filled them, charged and test drove today and it fine until it cut out again. I smelled burning and my temp sensor (little black box) was melted at the end. Waited a bit and drove back home. The only mod I have done recently was a new Alltrax controller and solenoid from Scotty B 2 months ago with great results. Not sure if this is related or a bad battery, etc. and not sure where to go from here. Any help would be appreciated.
Beachrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-12-2020, 06:10 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Temp Sensor melting

Did you check terminal tightness? Are you using the original Delta-Q charger?
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 07:10 PM   #3
Beachrider
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Everything is tight and yes, I am currently using Delta Q but this happened last year while using g DPI charger also. Apologies for leaving that out..
Old 09-12-2020, 08:55 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I dont associate the failure with the DPI, many aftermarket chargers, including dpi, ignore the temp sensor.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 07:38 AM   #5
Beachrider
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I need to figure out where the heat is coming from that melted the sensor. The hd solenoid was very hot also. I am going to double check all cables and connection to the motor as well.
I am guessing the low water was the original reason for intermittent shut down but after I filled them where was the heat coming from?
Old 09-13-2020, 10:14 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachrider View Post
I need to figure out where the heat is coming from that melted the sensor. The hd solenoid was very hot also. I am going to double check all cables and connection to the motor as well.
I am guessing the low water was the original reason for intermittent shut down but after I filled them where was the heat coming from?
Heat (W) comes from Amps (I) passing through resistance(R). (IČ x R = W).
So the question becomes, where is the excessive resistance coming from.

Stud type battery terminals are stainless steel bolts with the hex head embedded in the lead battery post and if too much torque is applied to the nut holding the cable on, the bolt turns inside the soft metal and only the points touch and resistance of the lead to stainless steel interface skyrockets. The spec on that type terminal is 95 to 105 Inch/Pounds, which translates to 7.9 to 8.75 ft/lb, which is very easy to exceed. (Attachment-1)

Poorly constructed and corroded cable ends are another source of excessive resistance. (Attachments 2 & 3)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Over tightened.jpg (181.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Bad cable - open end lug.jpg (126.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Trojan cable lugs.jpg (250.1 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:00 PM   #7
Beachrider
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I will check and reset with my torque wrench. It would be nice if that is the problem! Pic attached of setup
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200912_181102.jpg (257.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-13-2020, 12:13 PM   #8
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Lots of things on that terminal.. You could move the temp sensor to another location.
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO