lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-15-2011, 05:07 PM   #1
devast8ing
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Drive cluth problem?

First off let me say great site, been reading for a while and learned alot, Now on to my problem. I've got a 96 g16 that I recently lifted 7" with 23" tires, CPP driven clutch power kit and speed spring. My cart still has good speed on flat ground but is much slower going uphill. I used to fly uphill when it was stock, I noticed the new belt does not sit all the way in the bottom of the drive clutch when the carts stopped, and the cart jumps forward as soon as I hit the gas, before the engine even starts. Also belt stops about 3/4" from top of clutch at full throttle and the clutch kind of opens and closes a little if this makes any sense. Drive clutch is a chinese aftermarket one about a year old. Any and all help would be appreciated.
devast8ing is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-16-2011, 10:57 AM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: Drive cluth problem?

First I would run it some, a new belt can be sticky and do that at startup. I assume you cleaned and lubed the clutches when you did that, and your motor mounts are good the engine is not torquing over towards the trans on heavy load.

If the belt will not go to the top at high rpm that is a problem and will cut the speed. It may be the new clutch does not have the force of a stock one or its not working right. The secondary spring is much stronger it could cause that. You may have to get more rpm from the engine if you still have the governor on it, to get full shifting.

If its not going up hills is the engine running slower or faster? It is likely not in the powerband it was before, otherwise I don't know why that would change. Make sure it does not seem that way: ie: can you climb a familiar hill and have about the same speed over the top is best way to estimate power and CVT efficiency. I'd start with that stuff and wear the belt a little before you wrench on it, though taking the big secondary spring out may get rid of the problem I have heard of it cutting top speed before but usually still gives better low speed performance.

Here is my stock clutches with no governor, yours may rev higher before it closes that much but should still close all the way (belt at top at engine) at high rpm.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:22 AM   #3
devast8ing
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Drive cluth problem?

I dont believe my motor mounts are bad, motor doesnt move under load and drive belt is tight, maybe too tight. When I come to a hill, rpms drop way down, is this normal? Also when I cant make it up a hill that other lifted carts can, my drive belt will start squealing and I can not go any further. I've read on here that the only time the belt might squeal is at start up not at full throttle. I'm also wondering if the problem might be the driven clutch power kit I installed, there was a spacer behind the snap ring that I removed and replaced with the new spacer that came with the kit. Should I have left this spacer on and then added the new one for a total of 2 spacers between the differential and helix?
devast8ing is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha