lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-09-2012, 04:33 PM   #1
Race Director
Not Yet Wild

Wink 8:1 gear set for a Yamaha "The Drive"

Hey Guys and gals, I just bought a new 2012 EFI Yamaha PTV. I live in the golf cart capitol of the world, "The Villages, Florida" and I need to get this thing set-up to run in the high 20's at a decent rpm.

Where do I buy the 8:1 gear set? Any install tips? I'm going to run the 14" low profile tires so I figure with the 8:1 gear set, the spring and the 14's I should be able to run around at 26-28mph comfortably.

Your thoughts?
Race Director is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-09-2012, 07:15 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: 8:1 geat set for The Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race Director View Post
Hey Guys and gals, I just bought a new 2012 EFI Yamaha PTV. I live in the golf cart capitol of the world, "The Villages, Florida" and I need to get this thing set-up to run in the high 20's at a decent rpm.

Where do I buy the 8:1 gear set? Any install tips? I'm going to run the 14" low profile tires so I figure with the 8:1 gear set, the spring and the 14's I should be able to run around at 26-28mph comfortably.

Your thoughts?
Welcome! Congrats on your new purchase. I've had excellant results with Cartpartplus (a site sponsor) "speed spring". Doesn't "bypass" the govenor and I've had them at 25+ mph with stock tires (14's would even be faster). With gear change, (very labor intensive and gears are not cheap) you will lose torque. Just a suggestion, try the easy upgrade first. Good luck on your build
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:42 PM   #3
Race Director
Not Yet Wild

Thumbs up Re: 8:1 geat set for The Drive

Thanks for the reply Smallblock, The cart didn't have a single mile on it before I installed the "speed spring". I bought it from the dealer when I picked it up. On the test drive it clocked a whole 14mph on the gps. Its a nice piece and with factory 8" wheels I could make it go low 20's.

The problem is the rpm's associated with high speed travel with stock 11.9:1 gear ratio. In The Villages we drive these things everywhere. To the grocery stores, bars, restaurants, banks, movie theater,etc. They truly are daily drivers. It's not uncommon to drive a cart 50-75 miles or more in a day. It's 16 miles one way to Kohl's, ask my wife, she'll tell ya. hahaha

All the Yamaha dealers down here sell their carts with the 8.1 gear. But I wasn't going to pay $11,800 for an $8000 cart so I bought a stocker and I'm in the building phase. I'm not worried about the loss of torque, I'm not climbing any steep grades, driving off road except golf courses. All I'm hauling is my 115lb wife and maybe a set of golf clubs, some groceries or a cooler full of adult beverages. :)
Old 11-12-2012, 03:17 PM   #4
tomwed
Not Yet Wild

I also live in The Villages and had sticker shock at the prices in the local stores. How did you make out with modifying your efi yamaha cart. I would be happy just to make a new one go a little less then 20 mph. Any advice?
tomwed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
hewlett
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Dont know about gears but I put a zip tie on the gov and mine jumped up to 17mph on gps The tach shows 2880 so I under stand why you want higher gears.
hewlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:32 PM   #6
will1546
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I live in The Villages also, just picked up a stock 2012.5 Drive. I fooled with a wire tie on the gov and got 23 mph easily. Could this potntially hurt the engine?
will1546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:29 PM   #7
JasonsGolfCarts
Getting Wild

We have never installed gears in a Yamaha cart but have done a couple of E-Z-GOs. Biggest tip I would offer is to take your time and take pictures as you are taking it apart. Many site sponsors, including us, offer the 8:1 gears you are looking for.

http://www.jasonsgolfcarts.com/Yamah...Set_p/5895.htm
JasonsGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:23 PM   #8
GordyM
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Smallblock, The cart didn't have a single mile on it before I installed the "speed spring". I bought it from the dealer when I picked it up. On the test drive it clocked a whole 14mph on the gps. Its a nice piece and with factory 8" wheels I could make it go low 20's.

The problem is the rpm's associated with high speed travel with stock 11.9:1 gear ratio. In The Villages we drive these things everywhere. To the grocery stores, bars, restaurants, banks, movie theater,etc. They truly are daily drivers. It's not uncommon to drive a cart 50-75 miles or more in a day. It's 16 miles one way to Kohl's, ask my wife, she'll tell ya. hahaha

All the Yamaha dealers down here sell their carts with the 8.1 gear. But I wasn't going to pay $11,800 for an $8000 cart so I bought a stocker and I'm in the building phase. I'm not worried about the loss of torque, I'm not climbing any steep grades, driving off road except golf courses. All I'm hauling is my 115lb wife and maybe a set of golf clubs, some groceries or a cooler full of adult beverages. :)
I also live in The Villages and looking to follow in your foot steps. Did you get your High Speed gears installed in your stock cart? I also want to do my own HS gear install and would welcome your input.

Thanks
GordyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:33 PM   #9
Race Director
Not Yet Wild

I didn't do the gear install, didn't need it. 14" wheels and the speed spring got me an easy 22mph. The only downside is a slightly heavier feel to the accelerator petal.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:10 PM   #10
GordyM
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
I didn't do the gear install, didn't need it. 14" wheels and the speed spring got me an easy 22mph. The only downside is a slightly heavier feel to the accelerator petal.
Thank you for the reply. I think I will follow in your footsteps with larger wheels and a speed spring.

Did you get your cart from a dealer in Kentucky?
GordyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha