lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-24-2012, 01:02 PM   #1
old231
Not Yet Wild

Default Engine will not turn over

I just picked up a 1989 Ez Go that has not run in 7-8 years. The engine will not turn over. The micro switches on the accelerator and brake check out ok. The key switch checks out and I bench checked the starter solenoid. I would like the engine to at least turn over, not start, before I move on to draining gas, cleaning the carb, etc. Can you tell I'm new to carts?
old231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-24-2012, 01:40 PM   #2
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Engine will not turn over

try putting cart in neutral and turning the drive clutch over by hand...does cart still have oil in it?
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:08 PM   #3
old231
Not Yet Wild

I pulled the plug and can turn it over by the starter/generator v-belt. It does not seem like much compression when I put my thumb over the plug hole.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:16 PM   #4
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

k so your getting no solenoid click when you press pedal...that tells you its in the starting circuit before it even gets to the starter...try running a jumper wire from the small post on the solenoid with the black wire going to it to the battery negative and try it again...
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:27 PM   #5
bignate524
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

not much compression....sounds like it might be time for a top end rebuild my friend, or at least time to check out your piston and rings
bignate524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:50 AM   #6
racin161
Gone Wild

Welcome First place the f/R selector in Forward or reverse it has to be in a gear to make contact try the pedal now and see if you here the solenoid click.If you don't then try cleaning the F/R selector dirt or corrosion on the contacts will prevent it from turning over. Spray contact or brake clean in the selector and move it F&R several times then blow it out with compressed air you may need to repeat this a few times. If that don't work jump across the large terminals on the solenoid and see if it will crank. Let us know

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:56 AM   #7
Doc's BoneCracker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default t

puioe y]
Quote:
Originally Posted by racin161 View Post
Welcome First place the f/R selector in Forward or reverse it has to be in a gear to make contact try the pedal now and see if you here the solenoid click.If you don't then try cleaning the F/R selector dirt or corrosion on the contacts will prevent it from turning over. Spray contact or brake clean in the selector and move it F&R several times then blow it out with compressed air you may need to repeat this a few times. If that don't work jump across the large terminals on the solenoid and see if it will crank. Let us know

LOU
Make sure to jack it up
Doc's BoneCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:13 PM   #8
old231
Not Yet Wild

Like I said in the first posting, I'm new to carts. Boy am I ever. Yes I repaired some broken wires and tested the micro switches and the solenoid and then asked for your help. Thanks for all the tips and ideas. It now turns over every time I put it in forward/reverse.
Duh. And I bald not blonde.
I'm have removed and cleaned the gas tank. Removed the the oil tank. I'll mix the ounce to a gallon as I read. Drained and cleaned the carb bowl. A few more odds and ends I want to do. Any other tips before I try to start it up?
Old 08-26-2012, 05:27 AM   #9
racin161
Gone Wild

Well you can try but you may have to completely disassemble the carb and clean the jets real well before it will run these carbs are simple but touchy and cleaning the float bowl only may not do it. A new plug may be in order and also make sure you have spark. Other than that I'd give it a try

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:49 AM   #10
1moretoy
Never really finished

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignate524 View Post
not much compression....sounds like it might be time for a top end rebuild my friend, or at least time to check out your piston and rings
It's not gonna have much compression with the plug out.
1moretoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO