lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-13-2013, 04:50 PM   #1
rossco1418
Not Yet Wild

Default 88 ez go marathon problem: randomly sputters at mid to high throttle

I am having troubles with my 88 ez go gas cart. It seems to work fine at slower speeds but it will sputter randomly at mid to high speed/throttle. I also have the backfiring issue. I have added a spring from a clicky pen but it still seems to be an issue. Any ideas?
rossco1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-13-2013, 11:10 PM   #2
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 88 ez go marathon problem: randomly sputters at mid to high throttle

I think I'd try a heavier spring for the throttle. As for the sputtering, might need your carb cleaned out. Tear it down and hit it with the compressor and some cleaner if you feel confident.

Another one that might explain both could be your plug fouling out. At mid to high throttle there is more fuel being introduced and the plug might be just at the point of going out. Take it out and have a look at it. Hit it with a wire wheel or brush and see if that does anything.
Heliarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:11 AM   #3
rossco1418
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 88 ez go marathon problem: randomly sputters at mid to high throttle

I will try a heavier spring for the backfiring. As for the sputtering, I got a tune up kit for it last year and put in a new spark plug, fuel filter, air filter, and oil filter. I also have cleaned out the carb twice with no results. I feel confident the carb is clean. I used carb clean, air compressor, and welding tip cleaner and cleaned out all the jets. I didn't check the gap on the plug, could that be causing the issue? Any other ideas?
Old 05-14-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
rossco1418
Not Yet Wild

Could it possibly be the muffler causing the issue?
Old 05-14-2013, 01:20 PM   #5
BillieS
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossco1418 View Post
I am having troubles with my 88 ez go gas cart. It seems to work fine at slower speeds but it will sputter randomly at mid to high speed/throttle. I also have the backfiring issue. I have added a spring from a clicky pen but it still seems to be an issue. Any ideas?
Mine problem was similar to yours, thugh mine was a 2003 workhorse. I found several things wrong. Some you have already done, but I do not see adjusting the valves and cleaning out the pulse tube. I do not know much about these things as iam a new owner myself. But I did find these things helpful. Also check to make sure your carb is tight, no air leaks.
BillieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #6
rossco1418
Not Yet Wild

Where is the pulse tube located at?
Old 05-15-2013, 03:14 AM   #7
BillieS
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossco1418 View Post
Where is the pulse tube located at?
Mine was located between the inlet/outlet of the fuel pump that leads to the engine block. I took mine off and blew compressed air through it.
BillieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:01 AM   #8
rossco1418
Not Yet Wild

I have also noticed that the fuel filter doesn't hold fuel in it. I know they aren't supposed to be full but should it have something in it? Could it be a bad fuel pump?
Old 06-26-2013, 12:40 AM   #9
rfquiggle
Not Yet Wild

crank seals may be slightly worn.
rfquiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO