lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-11-2013, 11:57 AM   #1
Poconocampcar
Not Yet Wild

Default 1989 ezgo gas marathon 2 stroke will not crank

I have a 1989 ezgo gas marathon 2 stroke engine that will not crank at all. Problem started by cart not running in reverse. Bought a new forward/ reverse switch. When I went to install the new switch, the cart would not start at all now. Installed new switch anyway, still nothing. Decided to replaced solenoid, no change. When I push down on pedal I hear clicking noise but still nothing else. Next thought was to replace stater generator but some advice first.
Poconocampcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-11-2013, 12:04 PM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1989 ezgo gas marathon 2 stroke will not crank

The biggest problem area on your cart is the grounds. Follow the negative from your battery to the ground point on the chassis and remove the nut and cables. Now clean the chassis to bare metal and clean up the cable lugs. Reassemble making sure that you connect all three cables, one to the battery, one to the FNR switch and one to the engine block (this last one is very important so make sure the other end is a good connection also).

If this doesn't fix it report back and we will get you running.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:33 PM   #3
Poconocampcar
Not Yet Wild

I just cleaned all parts and reconnected with no change...still nothing but a click when I push down on pedal
Old 08-11-2013, 12:42 PM   #4
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

When you press the pedal, do you get 12volts between A1 and F2 on the starter/generator when in forward? And 12volts between A2 and F2 in reverse?
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:00 PM   #5
Poconocampcar
Not Yet Wild

Unfortunately I do not have a voltage meter with me. The golf cart is at our cabin. I am at the cabin now but will be leaving in a couple hours and will not be back until next weekend. I have no way to take it home with me. Is there anything else I can check before I leave? Otherwise I will not be able to get back to you until next weekend. I appreciate your help.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:41 PM   #6
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Have you tried to rotate the primary clutch to a different spot so the starter brushes are in a different spot? Maybe the starter brushes are going bad?
Without a meter, it's difficult to diagnose.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:55 PM   #7
Poconocampcar
Not Yet Wild

Tried that, heading home now, will bring meter with us next weekend.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #8
oachs83
Not Yet Wild

I had a dead spot on my 1988, the starter brushes were getting down there. To bypass everything take a jumper cable the kind you jump cars with and run it from the ground of the battery to the ground of the starter then positive of your battery to the forward post on your starter and see if the starter spins. If yes you have a switch or ground problem if it does not spin you might have a starter problem. With a test light when you press the gas be sure your getting power to the starter. One of the four main wires will have power for forward and then another when you switch to reverse. If all this checks out you now confirmed that the grounds and switches leading up to the starter are working correctly and the problem lies with the starter. Brushes are the easiest and most common problem. You can check a couple of them without removing the starter. My advice is to just remove the starter as it will be easier in the long run. The brushes have a wear mark on them and mine were about a strong eighth inch to the mark when I had my dead spot. Also important to clean the copper armature the brushes ride on and give here a few whacks on the outer case of the starter upside down to remove a lot of excess dust inside. If the brushes look new or hardly worn you could have a break in the armature winding which gets more expensive.
oachs83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO