lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-29-2008, 12:39 AM   #1
volvoman
Not Yet Wild

Default 88 CC gasser no spark while cranking

hello all! New here! thought somebody could help with a little problem im having with my 88 club car gasser... seems as though it quit running the other day and has no spark. I pulled the wire off the plug and it doesnt have any spark while im cranking it but as soon as i let off the gas pedel it sparks once ( only once i assume because the engine is not rotating any longer). I have looked for a wiring diagram on here but havent had any luck finding one if someone has one i would love to have it. Any suggestions as to what i should check next or anything on how to fix it would be great!!

thanks
volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-29-2008, 10:54 AM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: 88 CC gasser no spark while cranking

no spark, bad coil, bad rpm limitor if it has one it will be mounted on top of coil or bad exiter coil...............thats all thats there but there is no real way to bench test any of them so its kinbda of a crap shoot as to where to start..........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:58 PM   #3
ilcartman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Hey volvoman, sounds very similar to my prob on my 89 carryall, sparks only when letting off the gas, have already replaced the internal coil under the flywheel, and the external coil on top. I dont have an rpm limiter and have already replaced the microswitches. Getting a new solenoid, but still not sure. just saw a thread from rusty and oliver indicating it could be starter drag, but havent gotten a confirmation yet. You can read my posts on my probs "newbie w/ 89 carryall problem" talk at ya
later
ilcartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:31 PM   #4
volvoman
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilcartman View Post
Hey volvoman, sounds very similar to my prob on my 89 carryall, sparks only when letting off the gas, have already replaced the internal coil under the flywheel, and the external coil on top. I dont have an rpm limiter and have already replaced the microswitches. Getting a new solenoid, but still not sure. just saw a thread from rusty and oliver indicating it could be starter drag, but havent gotten a confirmation yet. You can read my posts on my probs "newbie w/ 89 carryall problem" talk at ya
later
hey thanks for the reply.... I read the posts about the starter drag and what not. Sounds like you might have gotten something defective maybe... I have narrowed mine down (I think) to the exciter under the fly wheel. I am leaning more towards the exciter coil at this point because when i ground the (black/white wire) while cranking I get 1 spark every time its grounded ..... seems as though the coil isnt getting ground signal from the exciter coil to fire at the right time .. or any time... I went a little further with this idea and hooked my starter button to the white/black wire on the coil while it was unplugged from the cart. while cranking it over i repeatedly pushed the starter buton and could get the motor to run (like crap ) for 15 secs or so...(till my finger got tired lol) I thought that was pretty cool.

While I was testing it I was thinking about the starter drag post and wondering why that would have anything to do with spark testing under a no load condition (no plug) or even loaded for that matter. Based on what was on the wiring diagram and what I was looking at on my 88 KF82 the ignition is basicly self contained and makes its own juice and is shut down by grounding (white /black wire)... please correct me of im wrong somebody, just a thought. I hope to have the cash for a new excitier coil in a few days ,cant wait to put it on and ride this thing for the first time!! Can anyone recommend the best place to get the exciter coil. thanks
Old 10-01-2008, 10:33 PM   #5
volvoman
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
no spark, bad coil, bad rpm limitor if it has one it will be mounted on top of coil or bad exiter coil...............thats all thats there but there is no real way to bench test any of them so its kinbda of a crap shoot as to where to start..........................
thanks for the info much appreciated
Old 01-09-2009, 04:38 PM   #6
volvoman
Not Yet Wild

update to previous posts......I have replaced the exciter coil under the flywheel and now the external ignition coil w/ rpm limiter built in.... still have the same prob!!! took it to work and hooked up a snap-on vantage graphing multimeter, and low and behold i have no trigger signal on the white wire coming from the exciter coil..... only thing i can think at this point is that i have lost just enough residual magenetism in the fly wheel that its not making the trigger work correctly... anyone had this happen ??

where can i get a flywheel? cheap hopefully thanks

volvoman
Old 01-10-2009, 12:14 PM   #7
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Only on engines which have either the Coil places too far away from the fly
wheel or the Coil arms are so rusted they are not conducting properly.
Never had a Magnet go bad , NEVER, but I guess Sh#$%^t happens.
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:24 AM   #8
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Welcome to the forum volvoman....................
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:16 AM   #9
oliver28472
Getting Wild

First try the site sponsors then try J and M Carts in Augusta, GA for the flywheel. But make sure it's not something else. I've heard of this happening on an old B&S 10 hp on a Allis Chalmers mower. When cold, my 89 seems to only fire when the pedal is just slightly pressed. Could be the gas cable needs a little adjustment. If I floor it when cold and slowly let up, it will fire when it is almost up all the way, which is similar to your description. When cold, mine will not fire if you put the pedal to the metal. After it runs a little, it will fire in about any position.
oliver28472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:22 AM   #10
4vertical
Gone Wild

Club Car

could that wire have a short in it? also, not to be the bad guy, but sometimes a dealer is the best option. they do work on their particular brand of carts most of the time.
-Aaron
4vertical is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car