lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-05-2014, 07:30 AM   #1
lorne
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default charging problem

Hi i'm new here it is a awsome site.I recently got a 89 ezgo 2 stroke gas the hei stystem worked awsome for my no spark now its not charging the battary.Does anyone know what the volts should be coming out of the gen?
lorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-05-2014, 07:34 AM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: charging problem

Running at high speed, you should be able to measure around 14 volts at the battery.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:40 AM   #3
lorne
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Not getting 14 I'm just getting battary volts I'm going to get a new regulatar but I don't think the gen working.I got this cart not working 3 weeks ago and this site has helped me out big time.It seems to work great but its not charging so now I'm a little lost not know what to check or what volts i should have?
Old 08-05-2014, 10:01 AM   #4
fastwoman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I could easily be wrong, being a newbie and all, but I don't think so: I would say if your engine starts, then the starter/generator is good, and all electrical connections are also good (or good ENOUGH). Your voltage regulator could be at fault. To test it, hook up a voltmeter to the battery, and rev up the engine. Your voltage should probably be between 13.5 and 14.5 V.

If you've got the same configuration as the 2-stroke on my '90 Marathon, where you press the gas pedal to start the engine, and you let off of the gas pedal to stop the engine, then the starter and generator are the same device. Whether it's a starter or a generator depends on whether the device is turning the engine (starter mode) or whether the engine is turning the device (generator mode).
fastwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:24 AM   #5
lorne
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

does any one know if a late 60's voltage regular off a ford will work on the charging system?
Old 08-08-2014, 08:52 AM   #6
lorne
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

just read that the solenoid has to be a golf cart solenoid. I have a ford solenoid on the cart. cart starts and runs great but doesn't charge the battery. could this be the problem?
Old 08-08-2014, 03:55 PM   #7
holmsey2012
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Not sure that is your charging problem but you need a continuous use solenoid as when you are running it is engaged all the time where as a Ford one is used only when starting.
holmsey2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:43 PM   #8
lorne
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I replaced the solenoid with a continuous one and it's clicks steady and doesn't stop.
Is this how they work?
Old 08-09-2014, 01:38 PM   #9
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

It should only click once, and the contacts stay closed until you remove your foot from the pedal. A constant clicking sound is not right.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 01:48 PM   #10
rib33024

A constant clicking sound is a loose conection or low volts on the batteries, what is the battery pack volts?
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO