lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-04-2015, 09:09 PM   #11
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Default Re: Yamaha Drive Differential Failure

Since you have an 08 model is has the undesirable team clutches that were lots of problems for yamaha wearing out and poor performance. 2012.5 yamaha upgraded them to a better more durable design with grease fittings that eliminate the jerky takeoff associated with the 07-12 clutches. I don't think you can even buy the style secondary clutch that you have on your cart. You have to buy the better updated secondary clutch that also requires a new belt to accomadate the new clutch.
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-05-2015, 01:41 PM   #12
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The surface the arrow points to is the common wear spot. Two of the three weights can also be seen. I have never seen the actual governor fork (still in the trans case) "falling down", or otherwise severely damaged. The collar with the wear on it is too loose fitting on the input shaft in my opinion. Also, some of the old dana axles shared this governor collar weakness, they solved the problem with a flat "torrington" bearing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150905_113425.jpg (322.4 KB, 0 views)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 03:22 PM   #13
YDrive
Not Yet Wild

The only way to address that wear is to get a replacement input shaft correct? Sort of stinks it's made that way as the gears and bearings seem fine on it.
YDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 03:36 PM   #14
YDrive
Not Yet Wild

I don't have it right in front of me but was just looking at the pictures again though. Are you saying the wear is on the inside of the collar, or where the weights ride on it?

I don't remember it being sloppy on the shaft and it looks like in the pictures the part that rides the shaft is up inside the collar a bit?

Just trying to better understand what it should look like.

Thanks for the input so far.
Old 09-05-2015, 05:53 PM   #15
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Right where the arrow points. Where the weights ride.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 06:17 PM   #16
YDrive
Not Yet Wild

OK, that is what i was thinking since it didn't seem sloppy on the shaft. So you would recommend changing it out with a new input shaft? Or at least that is what you would do if it was yours lol.

I am probably only going to use at the campground a few times a year, but still want to do it right.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:45 PM   #17
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Maybe my eyes are fuzzy but looks like it has worn a little groove. The fluid still in your transaxle in the pics kinda has a grayish tint to it. Did you see any sparkles in the fluid when it drained out?
Old 09-05-2015, 06:53 PM   #18
YDrive
Not Yet Wild

I took a rag and cleaned it out and then took the rag out in the sun earlier today . There was a little bit of sparkle to it. I would not say an excessive amount but some. Was not sure where all it was from but perhaps there?

Some of the oil did have a little tint to it as well. I am sure it has never been changed either which probably didn't help the cause. I have found a whole differential for about 800, trying to decide how far to dig in this one versus running it and replacing at big trouble honestly.

Hence my great appreciation for your advice as I'm sure you have seen it all lol.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:03 PM   #19
dbmachine
Gone Wild

The gang here can just about troubleshoot and get to the bottom of any issue that may occur with these carts.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:06 PM   #20
YDrive
Not Yet Wild

That is for sure. I have read a lot on here before ever posting. Its a great resource for those of us who are "addicted" to these things.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha