lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-25-2016, 12:24 PM   #1
lottabeef
Not Yet Wild

Exclamation 2003 Club Car wants to keep running after braking and kicks into reverse

I am looking for some help with my 2003 Club Car DS. The cart seems to run fine for a while and then I randomly hit the brake. The cart stops and then the engine wants to keep running and then kicks into reverse. This happens often and quite bothersome. When you hit the gas again it takes a few seconds before it wants to continue forward. I don't want to throw parts at it, so I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this. Thanks for your help!
lottabeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-25-2016, 01:07 PM   #2
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Default Re: 2003 Club Car wants to keep running after braking and kicks into reverse

Welcome to BGW lottabeef!

When you say it continues running when you stop... Does it seem like it's "dieseling"?
(run-on after the engine shuts down)

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 02:00 PM   #3
lottabeef
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2003 Club Car wants to keep running after braking and kicks into reverse

I read a few posts on here about it dieseling. I went ahead and cleaned the carburetor(which it certainly needed) and it's still acting up. I thought that would have fixed it, but I was wrong. My next thought was replacing the micro switches. I would guess I would need to replace all 4 of them. 2 in the black box and 2 on the Forward/reverse shifter. I haven't done that yet. I wanted to hear back from everyone first.
Old 06-25-2016, 03:37 PM   #4
bc13
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I struggled with dieseling for a couple of years with my 92 club car ds, and i finally figured out it was the carb butterfly not closing all the way, so when the engine got good and hot the fumes would reignite through the not fully closed door and cause dieseling. So what you can do is get it good and hot and when it starts to diesel hop off quick and pull up the seat and manually close the carb all the way. If the carb is the problem this should kill the dieseling right away. Gives you something easy to try before spending $ on something else.
bc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 05:43 PM   #5
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc13 View Post
I struggled with dieseling for a couple of years with my 92 club car ds, and i finally figured out it was the carb butterfly not closing all the way, so when the engine got good and hot the fumes would reignite through the not fully closed door and cause dieseling. So what you can do is get it good and hot and when it starts to diesel hop off quick and pull up the seat and manually close the carb all the way. If the carb is the problem this should kill the dieseling right away. Gives you something easy to try before spending $ on something else.
Sometimes it's caused by the cart being sped up too far: the carb butterfly is held part way open by the cables even when at rest. It can also be from someone having set the idle screw on the carb up to where the butterfly doesn't close completely. You say you've already cleaned the carb so we can probably ignore the build up keeping the butterfly open possibility.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:46 PM   #6
lottabeef
Not Yet Wild

Would dieseling actually kick the cart in reverse? This happens everytime and the gear is always switched forward.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:10 PM   #7
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

From what I've read, the most common cause of dieseling is excessive carbon on the cylinder head,
There's one trick for that before removing and manually cleaning the head...
  • Get a can of Seafoam,
  • remove the spark plug, and pour 1 oz (shot glass) of Seafoam in the plug hole,
  • reinstall the spark plug WITHOUT connecting the plug wire,
  • turn the engine over a few times, and let it sit, and soak for 20 minutes,
  • With the cart outside, and in Maintenance mode,
  • reinstall the plug wire, and start the cart, (the exhaust will smoke like crazy)
  • run the engine at part throttle until most of the smoke dissipates,
  • put the cart back in "run" mode, and go for a long ride!

It's worked for everyone that's tried it!

Old 06-25-2016, 09:07 PM   #8
bc13
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottabeef View Post
Would dieseling actually kick the cart in reverse? This happens everytime and the gear is always switched forward.
When the engine keeps firing it actually runs the engine in reverse. That's why you back up.
bc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:12 PM   #9
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc13 View Post
When the engine keeps firing it actually runs the engine in reverse. That's why you back up.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:09 PM   #10
lottabeef
Not Yet Wild

Believe it or not, I have actually done the seaform procedure twice in 2 weeks and it still wants to act like it's dieseling. How many times does a person need to do this procedure? Or is there anything else it could be?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car