lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-09-2016, 01:49 PM   #1
bcsman
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Over Charging Issue

I have a 93 CC and seem to have a charging problem. I wasnt aware of the situation until I starting smelling a rotten egg odor while driving. I didnt put 2 and 2 together until a few weeks ago when the cart would not start. The battery tested low on voltage so I put the charger on. After a few I smelled that odor again so I pulled the charger as it was maxing out and not going down on the indicator. I popped the water caps and saw it was dry, no water. So I filled with distilled and tried charging again but the battery was toast. I was able to borrow another battery while I ordered a replacement and found I was getting 15-16 VDC on the battery posts while running half speed. I did the check also with the yellow wire removed from the generator and shorting the post to ground. It showed 18 VDC or a little more so I ordered a voltage regulator. I received a Stens model with the 4 wires matching the one I replaced. After installing I am still receiving 15-16 VDC on the battery while driving as I put my meter on and ran the leads under the seat to monitor. It does slowly lower as I am driving, but isnt this still too much? Checked the generator with the yellow wire removed and still have 18 VDC pretty steady. So the regulator is lowering the voltage but still thinking too high. I dont want to boil another battery so am wondering if this seems normal. I suppose its possible I got a bad regulator but it is knocking it down some. And the battery is charged so should be minimal charge going in. Also I have no accessories such as lights to draw extra voltage.
bcsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-09-2016, 04:35 PM   #2
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Default Re: Over Charging Issue

Normal charge voltage for most autos is 13.8 volts. Not sure what the cart should be, but I would think about the same.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 06:44 PM   #3
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

15.3 volts is a nominal charge voltage for CC's,
to much more than that, you might consider replacing the voltage regulator.

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:09 PM   #4
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockman1 View Post
15.3 volts is a nominal charge voltage for CC's,
to much more than that, you might consider replacing the voltage regulator.

That makes sence all the starting pulling power from battery.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:23 PM   #5
bcsman
Getting Wild
Club Car

Well the V R is brand new, a Stens, but no guarantees. It is working somewhat as when starting my 20 minute ride it was reading 16.5 vdc on my meter at the battery, but had lowered to 15.75 near the end of the ride and was slowly dropping, but not sure how low it would have gone. Have to do an hour ride tomorrow to check it out. And again directly out of the generator is 18 vdc so also cutting that down a little so the V R is working some. I would think either it works or it doesn't.

Last edited by bcsman; 07-09-2016 at 10:27 PM.. Reason: Add
Old 07-11-2016, 09:41 PM   #6
bcsman
Getting Wild
Club Car

So have a question about the VR. Does it pass a charge voltage constantly to the battery or if the battery is charged does it selectively shut off to not overcharge?? Because I have been monitoring my battery while driving and it never shuts off.

And should the VR knock down the 18 VDC I am getting out of the generator to the 13-14 VDC normal level? Would like to read the specs on them.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:15 PM   #7
general01
Gone Wild
Club Car

What are you getting at the battery??
The starter/generator output stays steady(I think) but the voltage regulator is what regulates the output to the battery.

Mine rarely goes over 14.8 volts and that's with a healthy battery and it fully charged.

There is a service manual for these carts on the section page it will list them there.
general01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car