lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-16-2017, 02:42 AM   #1
E-Z-GO-Medalist
Not Yet Wild

Default "generic" leaf springs, to replace OEM

Has anyone replaced 'stock' leaf springs with 'generic' leaf springs (otherwise, available from something like a trailer supply company....)? If you have done so successfully, can you detail your experience? Thanks
E-Z-GO-Medalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-16-2017, 05:52 AM   #2
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: "generic" leaf springs, to replace OEM

I'm curious why you are exploring the subject. Are you unable to get the springs you need or is this a modification of some sort?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:03 AM   #3
KirkM
Not Yet Wild

I use trailer springs. They work fine. Really stiffens up the ride. Works much better if you have a rear seat also.
KirkM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:23 PM   #4
E-Z-GO-Medalist
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster59 View Post
I'm curious why you are exploring the subject. Are you unable to get the springs you need or is this a modification of some sort?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
I am exploring the subject b/c its likely that O.E.M. parts, are the generic part with a "brand" label slapped on them. I do this all the time, for any repair I do... Simply stated: generic leaf spring ~ $20.00/each vs. O.E.M. ~ $50.00/ea

I already see that others have had success, so its likely I will try the generic.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:09 PM   #5
Lochlin
Gone Wild

I did this for an old Pargo restoration. The originals were rusted through and there is no getting OEM for carts that old.

I got the closest size light duty trailer springs I could find from Tractor Supply which ended up being 2 inches shorter than the original. Without knowing if this will work on your cart what I did was that I ground off the original front spring mounts which are immovable. They were mostly rust so I tossed them and decided to make new ones. I kept and reused the rear spring hangers which were still in decent shape.

I fashioned some new front mounts out of angle iron. I attached the new springs to the rear hangers and then used the new springs themselves to measure to where new front mounts needed to be. I welded the new mounts to the frame and that did it. Worked great.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:56 PM   #6
E-Z-GO-Medalist
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkM View Post
I use trailer springs. They work fine. Really stiffens up the ride. Works much better if you have a rear seat also.
Used them (rated at 1500-lbs for the pair @ rear). Work great, nice ride, & no more sagging truck bed (especially when loaded)... There may be an inch or more, of additional 'lift' clearance from body to the tires, than original specs...

I modified nylon bushings to fit (used 2 at each eye) to fit the shackle bolts, and modified some rubber "furniture feet" to keep the leaf spring eyes at the proper distance from the shackles...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO