lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-12-2017, 02:27 AM   #1
rockinr382
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Location: England.live in a small Hamlet(village) poulation28
Default Smoking problem

I just installed a new ignition coil and after struggling the cart started, 1996 ezgo gas, fitted new gaskets to carb as well now cart is smoking like hell and stinks in the cart, before new things fitted cart ran great with no smoke, any help out there? Rockinr382
rockinr382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-12-2017, 08:45 PM   #2
BurntClutch
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Smoking problem

Why the new coil? If you had poor spark before maybe it's burning off stuff from the muffler? Did you adjust the choke cable afterwards? Maybe there is some air blockage and you are now running rich?
BurntClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:55 AM   #3
rockinr382
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

The cart would not start and when i checked the spark it was very poor so thought it was the ignitionproblem, sent to the States for a new one,this was after removingthe carb and checking the fuel pump, cleaned the carb, pump ok new gaskets on carb, tooklong time to get started, this was when the blue smoke started and was the same all day, now cart wont start at all.will have to set valve clearances to 6mm, ther is a baffle plate fitted in the air box, any idea if that is its proper location? Thanks for the reply, keep giving advice,Rockinr 382
Old 09-13-2017, 04:01 AM   #4
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

I think Burntclutch is on to the problem. Sounds like a stuck choke.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:55 AM   #5
BurntClutch
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

6mm is a LOT of valve clearance... It should be .1mm, or .004". There is a link in the technical threads here about how to adjust without having the gauges which might be hard to find in the UK for inch... Or is that just at typo?

Check to see that your choke plate moves between full open and full closed with the cable, and adjust as needed. There should be a baffle plate in the airbox.

Is your cart lifted? Does it only have 1.5 quarts of oil in it? Will it start with a shot of starting fluid directly into the carb?
BurntClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:12 PM   #6
rockinr382
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Ther is a baffle plate in the air box, no idaea what it does, not seen one on any of the service sheets i have downloaded, but its there. I have checked the carb and everything is fine, I set the valveS at 004" and still no stat, i think the igniter must be at fault as i have fitted a new ignition coil, worked on it to day and now there is no spqrk, its driving me nuts, wonder what else i can dO to get it running again, any ideas would be welcome, thanks
Old 09-14-2017, 03:46 PM   #7
atr42flyer
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinr382 View Post
Ther is a baffle plate in the air box, no idaea what it does, not seen one on any of the service sheets i have downloaded, but its there. I have checked the carb and everything is fine, I set the valveS at 004" and still no stat, i think the igniter must be at fault as i have fitted a new ignition coil, worked on it to day and now there is no spqrk, its driving me nuts, wonder what else i can dO to get it running again, any ideas would be welcome, thanks
have you used any starting fluid or carb cleaner? will it fire? does it have fuel in the tank?

I once got a great deal on a non running cart.....it was out of fuel.
atr42flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:49 PM   #8
bird6246
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

there is an A/C reading you can get of the igniter to see if it is good. Second thing make sure where the coil plugs in to the "main" harness that the connection is good. Check voltage on bothe sides of the plug as well as the ground on both sides,
bird6246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:46 AM   #9
rockinr382
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Checked everything uou advised, removed ignitor, cleaned and found two bad connections, changed fuse, cart dtarted, valves at 4" thou still smoking, needs a lot of choke or wont keep running, will remove oil filter today and change oil, see iff that helps, keep suggestions coming, thanks
Old 09-19-2017, 01:27 AM   #10
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

OK, I had not seen this post when i PM'd you this morning. So you obviously have a spark now. Have you actually cleaned out the carb yet. I see you have fitted new gaskets so maybe you did. If not, i would remove the carb again and give it a really thorough cleaning and whilst doing so, you need to check that the float valve is closing off. Before you take it off though, do the fuel pump checks as detailed in my PM, then refit everything if fuel is flowing. Now crank the engine and look at the vent tubes on the side of the carb. Is there any fuel coming out here. If so the carb is flooding. this will give similar symptom to what you describe. Not sure why it will run better on choke if it is already flooding but if not flooding, it may suggest that you have a blocked main, or secondary jet. but then why the smoke? could well be the exhaust burning out crap.

Next thing to try is running it without the filter. If the filter is clogged up, the engine will try to pull oil and vapour from the PCV valve and will smoke like a trooper due to burning oil. This will also show up on your plugs as a black deposit. Maybe a weak spark due to a poor connection in the ignition circuit has allowed the plugs to foul up and are now burning off the deposits in head and such like.

There are many variables here and we need to eliminate one at a time. so first check air filter. Another thought! if the carb is flooding, it may have filled the crankcase with fuel. This will definitely allow oil/fuel to pass the pcv valve and make the engine smoke and maybe need choke to run, changing the oil will give you a clue here as the old oil will be very thin and smell of fuel. I know it sounds kinky but sniff the dipstick! smell of fuel? dump the oil, put fresh in and check for flooding. I know its a lot of things to check, but we will get there eventually.

If you know anyone with an ultrasonic cleaner, give the carb a bath in that after stripping out the jets. (chuck the whole lot in)

Colin

Last edited by Cartmaster; 09-19-2017 at 01:30 AM.. Reason: Kept thinking of other stuff LOL
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO