lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-20-2017, 06:19 PM   #1
Jammin
Not Yet Wild

Default Jacobsen not moving

So I'm having some issues with a golf cart I'm trying to get running. I'm new to the cart world and I'm having some problems with finding out info about this cart.
Jacobsen
Model # --84204
S/N --84204-0295
Manufacturing Code --L203

The cart had a dead battery so I replaced that. The motor now runs but does not move. The belt on the starter generator is spinning but the clutch drive doesn't seem to be engaging. Are there serviceable parts in the clutch drive?

Thanks
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-20-2017, 06:23 PM   #2
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Jacobsen not moving

You can work on most clutches but it's easier to just install a new one. You will need a bolt to remove it though. Your starter is just running so it could be multiple issues. Maybe a bad carb, no fuel flow or a spark issue. Also check your gas pedal accelerator cable to make sure it's not frayed
yamahaguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:25 PM   #3
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

If the car actually ran, that is the starter is turning and the clutch was grabbing the belt and running, but it did not move anywhere, one of your drums is probably stripped out
Old 09-20-2017, 09:59 PM   #4
Jammin
Not Yet Wild

The motor runs, the spark plugs looked fairly new and a new fuel filter was installed last year. The cart gets used maybe twice a week during football season to set up yard markers and pretty much sits the rest of the year.

What is the best way to check if the drum is stripped or worn out? It looks a little beat up, and the belt seems very loose.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:28 AM   #5
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

For identification purposes, Jacobsen was a branded name on E-Z-GO and cushman carts, A picture would help to identify but going by your manufacturing code my Guess would be this is based on a 2003 E-Z-GO mpt model. so probably orange body originally, Plastic TXT style front cowl with a tipping back box.

Something like this

https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...act=mrc&uact=8

And it does sound to me like the cart is not actually starting, just turning over on the starter/generator!
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:20 AM   #6
Jammin
Not Yet Wild

I'll try and get a picture of the cart later today, but it's green, not orange. The starter generator is spinning as well as the primary clutch drive. It doesn't pull in to make the belt tighter and actually move the cart forward or backward.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:25 AM   #7
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

The drive clutch works on engine speed. The engine has to run fast enough to get that clutch pulley to close down on the belt. As the engine continues to pick up speed and run faster the pulley closes more, forcing that wide drive belt to ride further out on that forward clutch's pulley while forcing it deeper into the rear (driven) clutch pulley. That changes the effective gear ratio and helps the cart speed up. Does the engine change speeds as you move the gas pedal, like reving up a car's engine?
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:48 PM   #8
Jammin
Not Yet Wild

So I was having a tough time figuring out what model cart I'm working on. I called EZ-Go and they got me in touch with Jacobsen. For some reason they can't find the exact info for the cart. It is a 1990's Hauler 1110. The exact year is not known because apparently the Serial number I have is 0295, and they have no records of any carts starting with zero. Anyway,

You guys were correct by saying that the motor was not really running. Being new to this, to me it looked running, but was in fact just the starter generator. I decided to start with the cheapest fix and get a set of new spark plugs,( NGK BP4ES ) gapped to 0.28 and fired right up!!

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:22 PM   #9
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Not a problem, had a feeling it was a carb, fuel or spark issue

Remember if any gas cart you run into that doesn't run, it's a good chance it's one of those 3 issues. Or a bad battery of course
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO