lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-21-2021, 10:25 PM   #1
Ktrilla
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G-9 Engine Rebuild - Valve Question

I started a project a few months ago and received great advice on the issue I have, which is lots of smoke. I have the engine taken a part and the new piston rings are installed. However the valves have a lot of carbon buildup. I am afraid to start screwing with these if it’s a hassle.

Thoughts on their condition? Should I mess with them?
If I should clean them, what’s an easy fix.

Thanks everyone!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4DE661C9-A9F9-4AE0-87E9-430672800807.jpg (83.8 KB, 0 views)
Ktrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-21-2021, 10:52 PM   #2
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: G-9 Engine Rebuild - Valve Question

IMHO you clean things up and replace the the intake valve seal while the engine is apart.
raydhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 07:46 AM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

If it was smoking there’s probably a significant amount of carbon buildup in the exhaust port under the valve.

If the engine is apart, why would you not take the valves out, inspect them for wear, replace the seals, clean them up on a wire wheel and re lap them back in? You may as well do the job the right way... it’s a lot easier to do it now (30 minutes) than to have to take it all apart and do it again later. And if there is carbon buildup in the exhaust port it’s going to restrict flow and the engine still won’t run like it should.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 08:23 AM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
If it was smoking there’s probably a significant amount of carbon buildup in the exhaust port under the valve.

If the engine is apart, why would you not take the valves out, inspect them for wear, replace the seals, clean them up on a wire wheel and re lap them back in? You may as well do the job the right way... it’s a lot easier to do it now (30 minutes) than to have to take it all apart and do it again later. And if there is carbon buildup in the exhaust port it’s going to restrict flow and the engine still won’t run like it should.
Good words. I use a good clean brass brush and some solvent to clean that carbon off. If you have a glass bead cabinet you could also do that if you disassemble the valves etc.

I would also check the gasket surface with a good straight edge. I have trued up heads on a large flat surface (glass table) with a sheet of sandpaper glued to it, just run back and forth in multiple directions. You can use a dye to color the surface and check it after you sand, that will show the low spots.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 08:28 AM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Good words. I use a good clean brass brush and some solvent to clean that carbon off. If you have a glass bead cabinet you could also do that if you disassemble the valves etc.

I would also check the gasket surface with a good straight edge. I have trued up heads on a large flat surface (glass table) with a sheet of sandpaper glued to it, just run back and forth in multiple directions. You can use a dye to color the surface and check it after you sand, that will show the low spots.
Sharpie works well too instead of dye. Just have to clean it good with brake cleaner first
Old 05-22-2021, 08:41 AM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Sharpie works well too instead of dye. Just have to clean it good with brake cleaner first
I have done this, but it does rub off easier than the dye. I finally went and bought the dye lol. Problem with that stuff is it DOES NOT come off the skin!!
Old 05-22-2021, 11:23 AM   #7
Ktrilla
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks everyone! Main reason isn’t to be lazy but rather skill set. I’ve never done something like this and I am trying to avoid “doing to much”. But I agree, better do the job right and take the time to learn.

Since it is Saturday, all the dealerships are closed. Any chance I could get lucky and that the valve seal is standard? Could I get away with a non Yamaha part? Just a shot in the dark...
Old 05-22-2021, 02:16 PM   #8
Ktrilla
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Another question... getting carbon off the side shown in the photo seems like a no brained... but is there a test I can do to see if the valve is well sealed without taking it a part?
Old 05-22-2021, 02:55 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktrilla View Post
Another question... getting carbon off the side shown in the photo seems like a no brained... but is there a test I can do to see if the valve is well sealed without taking it a part?
Yes. Get some lapping compound and lap them.

Rather than trying to describe how to do it, check YouTube. There’s plenty of videos on lapping valves.
Old 05-25-2021, 06:00 AM   #10
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

If you don't have a lot of engine experience I recommend a good factory service manual for your cart and some basic small engine educational videos and/or books. Your local library probably will have some books if that's your thing. YouTube is filled with videos, some good, some great, some garbage. If you are doing "anything" for the first time, it's a good idea to have a buddy locally that can help you or at least guide you. We can help you here, but you'll need to post lots of photos etc, and it might be slower than if you have someone live. Glad to help.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha