lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-18-2011, 05:59 PM   #1
EZ-GoingJon
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 1989 3PG Carb Valve

Hey All!!

I am looking for a butterfly valve for my 1989 3PG carb. It looks like the old one has seen better days. It does not seal off 100%. I can blow through it when it is closed. Is that okay? I know the 2PG needs to close tight, hince the spring on the throttle by the stop. I would say it seals about 90-85%??
Is that okay, or will i get alot of backfire? Also, the 3PG setup has no spring like the 2PG, what holds it closed tight? Im rambling on, this will work for now.

I just get to know the 2PG in my 1982, then i get a 1989 3PG. O-Well!

Jon
EZ-GoingJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-19-2011, 10:07 PM   #2
EZ-GoingJon
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1989 3PG Carb Valve

Anyone?
Old 01-20-2011, 08:48 AM   #3
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Sorry Jon, I have the parts for the 2PG carburetor but I am sure that the butterfly is a different size.
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:22 PM   #4
steele
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Jon. I mess with a lot of 3pg powered carts.More often than not when backfire occurs its because of air being sucked into the exhaust during deceleration.It takes oxygen in the muffler to have an explosion in the muffler.Even if the carb is not shutting completly. Even a new carb will still allow some unburned fuel to enter the muffler.Its the nature of the beast. Because it kills the spark when you let completely off the pedal causing unburned fuel vapor to get in the exhaust. This is ok till jus a very small amount of o2 get in the muffler and pow!! Usually just as the eng stops. But can be when you let off and hit the pedal again.A very small crack around pipes or brkts will do it. Look for any soot of any kind on the exaust or jack it up and run it feel carefully around all exhaust during trottling up from idle. Let off and repeat feel around till you find a leak.I`v seen carts that did not close the throttle completely , but had no leaks in exhaust THEY didn`t backfire.Add a the SMALLEST of a LEAK and POW ~~~ Let me know how you come out with this. Ricl/steele
steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:22 PM   #5
EZ-GoingJon
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Steele,

i have not had it running yet, i just noticed the valve, i will let you know hiow it turns out!

Dave, i knew u r the 2PG guy! If i have a question about my 82 EZGO Trike, i know who to turn to!!

Jon
Old 01-20-2011, 07:48 PM   #6
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

not sure what you mean by butterfly valve. if it is not the choke, then all you have left is the main . i have just bought a new chinese repro from eec and it works good, but i think i jumped the gun on buying it. about the only thing that can wear on these is the throttle shaft, which will allow too much air in. comparing the new carb to the original i can't feel much diff. if i i get energetic will swap just to see. pretty sure our prob. lay somewhere else.

the only real prob with a worn shaft is at idle or starting--you mite find it a bit lean, but don't think it is a big deal.

to answer your ? , you always can blow some air.
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:17 PM   #7
steveb05
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ-GoingJon View Post
Steele,

i have not had it running yet, i just noticed the valve, i will let you know hiow it turns out!

Dave, i knew u r the 2PG guy! If i have a question about my 82 EZGO Trike, i know who to turn to!!

Jon
yeah...he is waiting on a reed cage that should be there tomorrow. :) Also, he'll have another carb to play with...just not a stock one.
steveb05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:54 PM   #8
EZ-GoingJon
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb05 View Post
yeah...he is waiting on a reed cage that should be there tomorrow. :) Also, he'll have another carb to play with...just not a stock one.
I am telling you Steve, i am chomping at the bit to get that thing tomorrow! I am ready to get my machine going! I know you said it does not have the cable, but it does have the part that screws onto the top, for the throttle?

Jon
Old 01-21-2011, 01:26 AM   #9
steveb05
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Well see now that is where I get fuzzy. This is my first cart and every other picture I've seen of that year had the carb horizontal and facing the passenger side. The carb you will get tomorrow is verticle. It has everything but the cable and the barrell.
steveb05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:17 AM   #10
EZ-GoingJon
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb05 View Post
Well see now that is where I get fuzzy. This is my first cart and every other picture I've seen of that year had the carb horizontal and facing the passenger side. The carb you will get tomorrow is verticle. It has everything but the cable and the barrell.
I think is has a different intake manifold, at least that is what it looked like in the pictures.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO