lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-20-2012, 06:11 PM   #1
Robodad
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Yamaha G14/G11 re-ring

So after I ordered all the parts I thought I needed turns out the rings I bought and waited 9 days to get are not .25 over like it says here on the top of the piston, good thing I checked that before I ordered !!!

Trying to get this one to quit smoking, wish it would have never started and this would be soooo much easier !!!

Robodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-20-2012, 07:04 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G14/G11 re-ring

I wounder why there is all that "pitting" on the top of the piston? Did you hone the cylinder to see if there wre scratchs in the bore?
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:20 PM   #3
Robodad
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
I wounder why there is all that "pitting" on the top of the piston? Did you hone the cylinder to see if there wre scratchs in the bore?
Ya know I never even gave it a thought, I guess I am in too big of a hurry to get my 8yo out of my ear that I just never thought about a hone job, I'll pick one up and run it through the boar that way I know its there !! Thanks for reminding me !!!

As for the pitting it looks like some one beat the heck out of it on one side by what looks like an arrow ?? but the other texture who knows, could be from cooking so much oil on it I suppose ?? The valves are not beat up like that so not likely something was in there but who knows !!
Old 09-20-2012, 09:22 PM   #4
rlester
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I just rebuilt my G14 a month ago (rings). It was smoking like crazy before I rebuilt it. Now there is not a hint of smoke, and the oil level has not gone down.

By the looks of your piston, I would be inclined to replace it. Who knows what stress it has been under.
rlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:44 PM   #5
Robodad
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlester View Post
I just rebuilt my G14 a month ago (rings). It was smoking like crazy before I rebuilt it. Now there is not a hint of smoke, and the oil level has not gone down.

By the looks of your piston, I would be inclined to replace it. Who knows what stress it has been under.
Thank You for the suggestion and I'm happy to hear that yours quit smokin as it gives me hope that I can get mine to stop however aside from the the top of my piston there isn't another mark on it and the ring grooves are still in great shape as far as I can tell I mean there was no abnormal wear that I could see, even the old rings looked pretty good I mean they weren't stuck or burnt or broken so I am really hoping that the valve guide seals were the cause of the smoke rather then the piston and I can get away from replacing it that would be in a perfect world I guess, perhaps I'll still have to replace it but for now I'll give it another go and see what the outcome is !!!

Any other advice ?? Keep it coming.......! This is my first time in a cart motor, done a few cars and trucks and this seems about the same just on a smaller scale !!
Old 09-21-2012, 01:31 AM   #6
rlester
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

At least do the rings and hone the cylinder. I thought mine was smoking because of the stem seals, but I never replaced them. The rings (especially the oil ring) had lost their tension. The fan shroud was full of mud and leaves and crap, so it was probably overheating all the time and as a result tempered the rings. I suspect your cooling fins were dirty as well.

The rings were cheap, it's a cheap fix since you have it all apart. I can understand from your description you want to re-use the piston, but please at least replace the rings.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #7
Robodad
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlester View Post
At least do the rings and hone the cylinder. I thought mine was smoking because of the stem seals, but I never replaced them. The rings (especially the oil ring) had lost their tension. The fan shroud was full of mud and leaves and crap, so it was probably overheating all the time and as a result tempered the rings. I suspect your cooling fins were dirty as well.

The rings were cheap, it's a cheap fix since you have it all apart. I can understand from your description you want to re-use the piston, but please at least replace the rings.
Yupp I intend to replace the rings, valve stem seals, rod bering, re-lap the valves, replace head gasket, hone the cylinder etc...

I'd like to know where you got your rings if they were cheap, I couldn't find them for under $55 and having ordered the wrong ones to begin with im now up to $110 plus shipping, However JR at DIY GolfCarts is trying to help me out with a return on the first set I ordered to them guys !!!

Another question I have is in my carburetor the choke cable is attached to a spring loaded mechanism on the top of the carb but there is no flap to close off the intake side so essentially the choke doesn't really do anything. Is there supposed to be a flap in there ?? or does this thing work somehow I am not familiar with ??
Old 09-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #8
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

OEM Yamaha ring set Part#jn5-11610-10-00 (.25 over) ,suggested retail 38.84, but must dealers would sell for 45.30. Absulutly right about the "collapsed/worn" oil rings will cause smokeing and it's not that uncommen to happen. Yes there should be a choke disc. Take a picture.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:26 PM   #9
rlester
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Yes, I believe I paid 45.00 for mine here in Canada.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:43 PM   #10
Robodad
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

You guys might have to give up your source for cheap parts, I can only find expensive ones I guess and their on the other side of the country

Picked up a hone today in case your wondering so I'm ready when those expensive rings get here !!!

Edit: Here is a pic of the cylinder wall, is that a good enough hone job ??

Also a pic of the carburetor and there doesnt appear to be any where for the choke flap to fasten even, I must need the post and everything ??

Also there is a sender type thing on the bottom of the crankcase with one wire coming out and no where to plug it in, just wondering what it is and where to plug it in, any ideas ??

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha